PC's "I gotta move to a snowier locale" ranting thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Perpetual_Christmas View Post
    I am now certain I picked the right city, because I just learned the Kansas City Royals have a "Christmas Eve in July" day:
    http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/...as_in_july.jsp
    It's that day today! They just showed someone with a Santa hat in the stands!

But I didn't go to the game. Not in the mood. Just watching it on TV.
    Nutcracker fetishist.
    Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Perpetual_Christmas View Post
      Several months ago I posted the Christmas Time in Kansas City video I made over the Holidays.

I had so much fun making it I decided I'd also make one for spring, summer and fall. I just finished the spring one today (been working on it since March). Here it is! It's 19-1/2 minutes, so grab a cup of coffee before you watch this one. It's almost a mini-movie!

First part (about 2-1/2 minutes) is an introductory and Easter segment
      Second part is a segment showing spring-y looking scenes in early April, a little over 2 minutes. Set to some music I sang waaay back in high school choir and which I remembered all these years.
      Third part is about five minutes - a visit to the zoo! The scene with the lions (this one particular lion, to be precise) is the best.
      Last part is almost 10 minutes long and is a tour of downtown Kansas City, set to Beethoven's "Spring" violin sonata.

Update! I have made 2 more videos, if anyone is bored and has some time to kill.

In addition to the Christmas and spring videos above, I've made a summer and autumn one as well.

Last edited by Perpetual_Christmas; 02-03-2017, 11:04 PM.
      Nutcracker fetishist.
      Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• And BTW, my first two winters here have been disappointing snow-wise! So far this winter we've had 4 days of snow totaling 4 inches. I think my old home in Everett might even be doing better this winter.

That said, it looks like my timing is just bad. KC gets snowfall totals of 20+ inches every few years, which basically NEVER happens around Seattle.

Last edited by Perpetual_Christmas; 02-04-2017, 10:59 AM.
        Nutcracker fetishist.
        Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• So you cursed them into getting little snow.
          Mark
          Check out my Christmas reviews.

Comment

• I can tell I've gotten acclimated to the summers here because I now consider highs in the low 80's to be cool weather.
            Nutcracker fetishist.
            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• Well we just got an inch of snow overnight. And it's not supposed to go over freezing today or tonight (in case it'll get really really cold tonight) so there should be snow on the ground on Christmas around here! My third Christmas here, my strategy finally pans out!

Would be nice if it was more than just 1 inch, but I'll take it.
              Nutcracker fetishist.
              Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• Here's my front yard around noon today. So, I kinda sorta got a white Christmas.
                Nutcracker fetishist.
                Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• Merry Christmas PC. I'm glad you got some snow!
                  Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

• We had a white Christmas here. First time in ... I don't know how long. (a LONG time)

We had freezing rain Friday into Saturday. The ice on the trees and shrubs made for some beautiful scenery. (though slippery driving) We were out Saturday night and on one particular road the tree branches were weighed down by ice and they (the bottom twigs and stuff) were hanging into the road. It was liking driving through the car wash when the cleaning stuff goes over your windows and roof.

Then last night it started snowing and it ended around 11 this morning. About 6-7" here of the white stuff. At least at my house it was the dry fluffy stuff so it was easy to move.

I was out looking at lights last night (before the snow) and have lots of pictures. As soon as I can resize them I'll post a few.

Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

• Hope all of you had a great Christmas. We received about 1" on Wednesday night. It all melted on Thursday & Friday. Saturday night, we had a very fast moving storm come through. It was so bad, we had to shut down the display. It's been cold here so the snow hasn't melted much and we still have about 1 1/2" on the ground. Nice white Christmas. Can't believe all the people coming to look at the display. Sure glad they are enjoying it.

Comment

• The funny thing about me celebrating getting a white Christmas is, my old abode of Seattle got a white Christmas too! In fact it looks like they got more than me, and it fell on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning to boot!
                        https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ude-black-ice/

But, over the years, KC is gonna get more snow and more White Christmases than Seattle, so they just got lucky this time.
                        Nutcracker fetishist.
                        Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• When the kids were in their early teens we had a very nice snow one year that started around 4:00 Christmas Eve and continued into the pre-dawn hours Christmas morning. Not heavy but covered everything in a blanket of white - beautiful!. I'm nearly 60 and that was the only "Christmas snow" I can remember in our area of Maryland. Our real snow tends to come in January and February.

Comment

• I finally got around to picking out some photos from Christmas Eve and Christmas day.

Not sure if you'll be able to see all the ice on the trees and shrubs. The trees sparkled at night from the Christmas lights but the camera really didn't capture that. The sun on Christmas afternoon really made things sparkle.

This really shows how almost each needle was coated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4537r.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	187044

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4573r.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	187045

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_11519.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	187047
                              Now for some with lights in them.

This neighborhood puts luminarias out and it was beautiful.
                              I was trying to capture the sparkle on the iced over tree.

Comment

• This house always does a nice job. Not too much and not too little. It's a corner lot and they do the entire yard. (front, back and sides) It's my tradition to go see their yard every year at least once.

I'm trying to stick more than one photo in here. Not sure if it will take.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF4650e.jpg Views:	2 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	187052

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF4686R.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.4 KB ID:	187051

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1070 users online. 4 members and 1066 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                                X