PC's "I gotta move to a snowier locale" ranting thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the first winter weather forecast for my area. Now that I've spent so much time, effort and energy this year devoted to my relocation to a snowier locale, needless to say, I've got a lot of emotional energy tied up into every nuance of the weather forecast - LOL! Anyway ... this guy (one of the local TV station meteorologists) seems to have a pretty good track record the past few years.

A Preliminary Look Into The Winter Forecast
    [...]

For Kansas City, we are forecast above average temperatures this winter. Rainfall will also be above average with some flooding rains possible. It will be cold enough for one big ice storm, and five to ten snowstorms that will bring our total to 23” this season.

Anyway, if he's even just in the ballpark I will be thrilled!
    Nutcracker fetishist.
    Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Fingers crossed for you!! Even without snow you'll be experiencing Christmas temperatures.
      The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Comment

From looking at the national forecast it looks like you should have gotten some wintery weather the past several days. But then again maybe you should have moved further north and really got into the snow like they got in the Dakotas, Iowa and Minnesota.
        Last edited by andy anderson; 12-02-2015, 09:09 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

^
          Funny you should mention that, it just started snowing a few minutes ago, albeit VERY lightly. About to go out for a walk right now!

Not supposed to amount to anything, however. But ... gotta start somewhere I suppose.

The last several days we just got rain. Over the whole Thanksgiving weekend it hovered around 32 degrees, but there was a layer of warmer air above the cold surface air, so it never got cold enough to snow. Was really frustrating for a snow lover like me.

We did get some ice on Friday and Saturday. Not much though.
          Nutcracker fetishist.
          Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

I'm starting to look more forward to Sunday and Monday than I am Christmas itself!

Check out these model runs for the GFS! Other models are showing it to be warmer and more on the rainy side, but at present they're not in agreement, so I'm hoping this model is right!

For reference to anyone geographically challenged, KC is on the western edge of Missouri, where the straight N-S western boundary turns into the squiggly part of the boundary that runs along the Missouri River.

It would start out as rain late on Sunday, then get colder and change to freezing precip around midnight. Then, here is the model run for 6am Monday.

Then noon on Monday.

I hope this is right!!!!

I also have all of next week off so I'll have time to enjoy the snow!!
            Nutcracker fetishist.
            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

PC .. what's the latest? Any snow in sight???????????
              Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

Latest model still showing some snow for KC. Lots of skeptical local meteorologists, who tend to think it'll be too warm for an all-snow event. But one model (the Euro) recently showed 6-12 inches of snow for the Monday event. That would be in my dreams!

Anyway, here is the latest GFS for 6pm Monday Central time.

Weather junkies might want to bookmark this website, cool stuff. Use the slider or the arrows to go through the model runs. Model is updated every 6 hours.
                http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

While it's still early, looks like you, Viktorija, might be in for some messy weather around the 29th.
                Nutcracker fetishist.
                Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Good luck PC. I hope your dreams come true!

And you're right. They are talking about messy weather. At least traffic will be light next week.
                  Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

Looks like I'm finally gonna get my wish, albeit a lot messier than optimal. Potentially lots of accumulating ice ... good thing I don't have to go to work next week! Hope I don't get any blackouts, because it's supposed to get REALLY cold after the storm passes through and I don't want to have to stay in a freezing cold apt for who knows how long while the power is out! I did that once several years ago while living near Seattle and don't want to do it again.
                    http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/w...torm%20warning
                    URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
                    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE KANSAS CITY/PLEASANT HILL MO
                    445 AM CST SUN DEC 27 2015

...FIRST SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM OF THE SEASON TO ARRIVE TONIGHT...

.A STRONG AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL LIFT NORTH FROM THE SOUTHERN
                    PLAINS THIS EVENING...AND GRADUALLY OVERSPREAD THE LOWER MISSOURI
                    VALLEY THROUGH THE DAY ON MONDAY. COLD AIR ALREADY IN PLACE FOLLOWING
                    THE PASSAGE OF A COLD FRONT YESTERDAY WILL RESULT IN A MIX OF
                    SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA LATER
                    TONIGHT AND MONDAY. THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR 4 TO 6 INCHES OF NEW
                    SNOW ACROSS FAR NORTHWESTERN MISSOURI AND NORTHEAST KANSAS...WITH ICE
                    ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO A THREE TENTHS OF AN INCH POSSIBLE SOUTHEAST
                    OF INTERSTATE 35.

KSZ025-057-060-102>105-MOZ001>008-011>016-020>023-028>030-037-
                    272230-
                    /O.UPG.KEAX.WS.A.0003.151228T0000Z-151229T1200Z/
                    /O.NEW.KEAX.WS.W.0004.151228T0000Z-151229T0300Z/
                    ATCHISON KS-MIAMI-LINN KS-DONIPHAN-LEAVENWORTH-WYANDOTTE-
                    JOHNSON KS-ATCHISON MO-NODAWAY-WORTH-GENTRY-HARRISON-MERCER-
                    PUTNAM-SCHUYLER-HOLT-ANDREW-DE KALB-DAVIESS-GRUNDY-SULLIVAN-
                    BUCHANAN-CLINTON-CALDWELL-LIVINGSTON-PLATTE-CLAY-RAY-JACKSON-
                    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ATCHISON...PAOLA...MOUND CITY...TROY...
                    LEAVENWORTH...KANSAS CITY KS...OVERLAND PARK...OLATHE...TARKIO...
                    ROCKPORT...MARYVILLE...GRANT CITY...ALBANY...STANBERRY...
                    BETHANY...PRINCETON...UNIONVILLE...LANCASTER...DOW NING...OREGON...
                    SAVANNAH...CAMERON...GALLATIN...JAMESPORT...TRENTO N...MILAN...
                    GREEN CITY...ST. JOSEPH...PLATTSBURG...KINGSTON...HAMILTON...
                    POLO...CHILLICOTHE...PARKVILLE...PLATTE CITY...WESTON...LIBERTY...
                    EXCELSIOR SPRINGS...RICHMOND...KANSAS CITY...INDEPENDENCE
                    445 AM CST SUN DEC 27 2015

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 PM CST
                    MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN KANSAS CITY/PLEASANT HILL HAS
                    ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING
                    RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 PM CST MONDAY.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION IN THE FORM OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET WILL
                    OVERSPREAD THE AREA TONIGHT...BEFORE TRANSITIONING OVER TO ALL SNOW
                    LATER IN THE DAY ON MONDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS FAR NORTHEASTERN
                    KANSAS AND NORTHWEST MISSOURI...WITH AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES
                    POSSIBLE SOUTHEAST OF INTERSTATE 35. ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO 3
                    TENTHS OF AN INCH WILL BE POSSIBLE SOUTHEAST OF INTERSTATE 35 BEFORE
                    ACTIVITY TRANSITIONS OVER TO ALL SNOW MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* MAIN IMPACT...FREEZING RAIN AND SNOW WILL LEAD TO VERY SLIPPERY
                    DRIVING CONDITIONS THROUGH THE DAY ON MONDAY.

* OTHER IMPACTS...IN ADDITION TO SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS...STRONG
                    NORTHEAST WINDS WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH WILL IMPACT THE AREA LATER
                    TONIGHT AND MONDAY. ICE ACCUMULATIONS COMBINED WITH STRONG WINDS
                    MAY LEAD TO POWER OUTAGES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
                    SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
                    POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
                    Nutcracker fetishist.
                    Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

That must be what's going to hit us on Monday night into Tuesday. Which will be the first snow for my area for this winter.
                      Tomorrow the high temps will be in the 30's .. which is normal for us at this time of the year. But after having so many days way above normal .. it will be a bit of a surprise to drop back to normal temps.
                      The commute Tuesday morning will be yucky. Yes .. I have to work. (boo hoo) But a lot of people have this coming week off, which means traffic will be light. (thank goodness)

Comment

We ended up getting an inch, maybe two at the most in some spots. Was actually snowing pretty good from about 12:30 to 5-ish this afternoon, so I spent a few hours adventuring in the snow. Took some photos of downtown Lee's Summit while I was out. Also took a bunch of video shots which will be in my upcoming "Christmas Time in Kansas City" video, which I'll be showing soon.

For the next several day we'll be finally getting some real winter-y weather, with lows in the teens and a bit of additional snow Wed morning.
                        Last edited by Perpetual_Christmas; 12-28-2015, 10:26 PM.
                        Nutcracker fetishist.
                        Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

^
                          Believe it or not, but there are still a few piles of snow here and there left over from that snowfall.

Anyway, after a frustrating start to the winter the forecasts are finally starting to look promising:
                          http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:64...9999?sp=MD9982

Though the way it's been going, that big stuff a week out will either be revised away by the time it arrives, or it'll get warmer and just be rain!
                          Nutcracker fetishist.
                          Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

I've got a winter weather advisory!!

... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 9 am Tuesday to
                            midnight CST Tuesday night...

The National Weather Service in Kansas City/Pleasant Hill has
                            issued a Winter Weather Advisory for light to moderate snow and
                            freezing drizzle... which is in effect from 9 am Tuesday to midnight
                            CST Tuesday night.

* Timing... light freezing drizzle could begin Tuesday morning between
                            6 am and 9 am. Snow will likely begin between 9 am and 1 PM... lasting
                            through Tuesday evening around midnight.

* Accumulations... a glazing of ice south of I-70 will be possible
                            with 1 to 4 inches of snow area wide.

* Main impact... freezing drizzle and light to moderate snow will
                            bring visibility restrictions down to around a mile a times.
                            Roadways will also likely become snow covered and ice packed
                            leading to slick conditions on all roads.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow and freezing
                            drizzle will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery
                            roads and limited visibilities... and use caution while driving.
                            Nutcracker fetishist.
                            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

I hope you get some snow PC.

We got about 4" of snow last night. Light, fluffy stuff too so it was easy to move. Much easier than that packed sleet we had a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Long-range models showing a potentially huge storm for the whole Northeast next weekend. Get ready!
                                Nutcracker fetishist.
                                Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1068 users online. 4 members and 1064 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                                X