PC's "I gotta move to a snowier locale" ranting thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC's "I gotta move to a snowier locale" ranting thread

OK, since this is a Christmas forum I hope everyone will understand! Well, at least most people here.

Since the spring I've been sending out resumes for jobs in the Midwest. Some people would think I'm crazy for wanting to move from the Seattle area to the Midwest, but it's true! Especially with the (lack of) winter we've had around here this past winter, I'm just dying to get away from here. February this year has been more like a typical March, and I just can't take it anymore! I want snow!

I've actually been thinking I would eventually want to do this for, like, 10 years. As nice as it is here in the Seattle area, I've gradually gained the feeling over the years that I really don't belong here. So early last year I decided it's time to start doing something about it, before I get too old (I'm 50).

Now, the issue is, I have a good job, and it pays well, but I don't really want to tell my boss I've been looking for a new job until I'm nearly certain I'm about to get a specific new job (but once I tell her the reason, she would understand - I'm always griping about the lack of snow! A few months ago during one such rant she suggested to me that I move to Alaska!). The other issue is, I'd be very reluctant to quit my job and move before I've got a new job lined up ... but I've also learned since starting to send out resumes last spring, people don't want to hire someone from far away if they really don't have to. I've applied for jobs that, had I lived nearby, I have no doubt I'd at least get an interview for. But I'm pretty sure I get rejected out-of-hand just because I live far away. One recruiter even told me right out that the employer was only interested in local candidates.

This past week I was crunching some numbers and, to make a long story short, I actually think selling my house, quitting my job and cashing in my 401K (even with all the penalties) would be a fantastic financial windfall. Basically I'd be able to pay off all my debts (including sizable student loan), plus have money left over for moving costs and (maybe) a down payment on a new house. However, I'd have to move to a city with fairly cheap housing costs ... unless I was willing to go back to renting (not really what I want to do, though). So now it's almost tempting to quit my job regardless of whether I've got a new job lined up or not.

Anybody here ever done that? Quit your job and move to a far away place without a new job lined up?

Anyway, the cheaper housing costs are an important reason for my preference for the Midwest. New England would be nice, too, but it's more expensive. My other criteria is, it's gotta be in or near a city with an American League baseball team . That narrows it down to: Minneapolis, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland. I've not been focusing on Chicago because it's a bit more expensive, and frankly, I prefer medium-sized cities over big cities. There aren't many jobs in my field in Cleveland, so that seems unlikely. There are a pretty good number of jobs in my field in Minneapolis and Kansas City, and some (but not a huge amount) around Detroit. Lately I've been focusing on Kansas City. I had a phone interview for one there about a month ago, but didn't get the job, which sucked.

I'm sending some resumes out to non-American League cities (such as St Louis, which has a lot of jobs in my field) but it's not my preference.

Another factor is, I've got new neighbors living behind me who, well, let's just say it would be nice to get away from them. Not a huge deal, but they've got ... habits ... which I find annoying.

Anyway, I wanted to get all that off my chest and rant about it. Other than that there's no real reason for this thread.

/rant
    Last edited by Perpetual_Christmas; 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM.
    Nutcracker fetishist.
    Visit my nutcracker blog

That is a lot of heavy thoughts to deal with and probably not much advice any one can give you. If, in the end, finances are not the issue then much of it has to come from the heart. Keep in mind what type of people you want to surround yourself with also. There is a BIG difference in the attitudes and habits in various areas. What are the summers like? What type of bad weather will you be exposed to...blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. Other than baseball are there things of interest to do? But it sounds like you have thought this out so far and I am sure you will come up with a solution that makes you happy. I hope it will all fall into place for you.

Comment

You didn't mention Missouri? Chicago = Cubs. Worst baseball team. St Louis = Cardinals. Kansas City= Bluejays. Two good teams right here in Missouri. Have to say the Cardinals are the better team. There are plenty of smaller towns hovering around St Louis. You'd get more bang for you buck. But a longer commute. The best place to see what's really there is Realtor.com. Type in a major city. Then use Google maps to scout out surrounding towns.
      There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Kansas City= Bluejays
        I think you meant the Royals.

I've already spent tons of time on Zillow checking out houses for sale. I've been looking at houses in OK neighborhoods almost twice the size of my current one for almost half the price.

The only inclement weather I'd be worried about in the Midwest are tornadoes. But the extra snow would more than compensate for the additional risk.

And speaking of spring/summer weather, here in the Seattle area it's not unusual to get summers with little summer-like weather. In fact we've had (by my accounting) 2 such summers in the past 5 years - it's like perpetual spring all summer. I call them "summer without a summer." While I'm generally more of a cool/cold weather person, it *is* nice to get summer-y weather. That way it makes you appreciate the fall when it finally arrives!
        Nutcracker fetishist.
        Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

I've done what you're thinking, Perpetual.
          When my wife and I got engaged, she lived in Miami and I lived in St. Petersburg, Florida. We both quit our jobs and moved up to Charlotte, N.C. She desperately wanted out of Miami and we both wanted to live where we could have the four seasons (the weather, not the Frankie Vallie group).
          That was in 1991. We did have to scrimp and scrape for a few years, but things worked out and we still live in the same general area. We are both happy that we moved when we did and we've seen the area grow so much in the last 24 years.
          Plus, we're only about two hours from the mountains and I LOVE the mountains!
          I hope you're successful if you decide to make the big move!

Comment

Thanks EG.

I'm thinking of waiting it out a few more months to see if I can line up a job first, but at some point the urge to go is probably going to become overwhelming, job or no job.
            Nutcracker fetishist.
            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

UPDATE: On Friday I have a phone interview for a job in Kansas City which is looking like a VERY good prospect. I've already decided to go to KC for a "scouting trip" and maybe look at some houses in May, leaning towards the 3rd week (if all goes well with my kidney stone thing!). If the phone interview Friday goes well I would have a follow-up interview on-site when I get there. Plus the pay would be REALLY good.

If that weren't enough, I have another good prospective position I've already talked with someone about, also in KC. So if the one falls through I've still got a good shot at this other.

Hopefully I can get a white Christmas this year!
              Last edited by Perpetual_Christmas; 04-15-2015, 11:07 PM.
              Nutcracker fetishist.
              Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Wow, If you move to Kansas City we'll practically be neighbors. I'll be in KC Aug. 30th. Hopefully playing a few songs. Be awesome if your settled in by then.
                There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Y'know I play guitar too (acoustic). If/when I move there we should get together and jam!
                  Nutcracker fetishist.
                  Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

It's a deal! Take about 4 or so hours to get there from here. And I'll avoid the highway system going threw the center of the city. You'll know more about that Disney ride when you get there. If you haven't already go to Google maps and take a satellite view for yourself. See all those bridges that go across that one highway? At 60 MPH they go by like fan blades.... LOL

Comment

So the interview went ... OK I guess. I rambled on quite a bit, in large part because the person from the staffing company told me to expect the interview to be an hour, so I thought I had lots of time to say everything I could possibly say. But when we approached the half-hour mark, one of the people interviewing me told me they had scheduled only a half-hour.

Anyway, telephone interviews are really hard to judge, so anything could happen at this point.
                      Nutcracker fetishist.
                      Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Any news yet? (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you)
                        Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

Thanks for thinking about me!

Just so happens, the guy at the staffing firm told me today he's getting the impression the people who interviewed me are really reluctant to go for a non-local person. But he's not absolutely certain. They interviewed 2 more people today and have another one on Tuesday.

Once I heard that I decided I am definitely going to Kansas City the 3rd week of May, regardless. I will start looking at houses. I also just emailed another prospect I've been working on that I'll be in town that week, and if she and her client are still interested in me, that would be a good time to catch me for an interview.

It's blindly obvious to me by now that if I actually *lived* there I'd be a shoe-in for multiple positions. But nobody's really interested in non-local candidates.

So my strategy is, if I can manage to get a job before I move, I'll buy some decent house somewhere as usual. If not (which seems more likely), I'll move anyway, but I'll buy a fixer-upper for cheap in a maybe-upcoming neighborhood, and pay 100% cash down (selling my house and cashing in my 401K at my current job will allow me to do that). Have already been eyeing certain houses on Zillow. I find something appealing about doing the "urban pioneer" thing and moving into a fixer-upper anyway.

In other words, barring some catastrophe, I will almost certainly be in KC before the winter arrives. Hopefully sooner!
                          Nutcracker fetishist.
                          Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

So I just made all my travel plans to visit KC the week of the 17th. I am sooo eager!!

Just hope there's no tornadoes that week.
                            Nutcracker fetishist.
                            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

I'm going to put these links here for my own future reference:

November Daily Snowfall for Kansas City MO since 1889
                              December Daily Snowfall for Kansas City MO since 1889
                              January Daily Snowfall for Kansas City MO since 1889
                              February Daily Snowfall for Kansas City MO since 1889

in the 14 years since 2000, KC has had 9 years where they've had at least a trace of snow either on Christmas day, or in the 3 days before Christmas. 6 of those years had at least a trace of snow on Christmas Day and/or Christmas eve.

Sure beats Seattle!
                              Nutcracker fetishist.
                              Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1462 users online. 6 members and 1456 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
                              X