2014 November Weekly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 November Weekly

Happy November 1st!! In the 50s and raining in SoCal. What a great day!
    The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Happy November! The holiday season is in full swing! Currently warming up after our first hard frost. Be in the mid 40's today. The furnace is running. And yes. I still whisper "I love you" every time I walk past my thermostat. Hey, after using wood as the only source of heat when growing up you would too. LOL
    There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Weather's been nice for the last couple of days, so this afternoon I decided to mow my lawn. Checked for gas and didn't have any so hopped in the car and got some, and when I started the mower, it decided to rain! Couldn't hold off for an hour or so just so I could get the mowing done. Well hopefully it will be nicer tomorrow.

Comment

So, how did everyone's haunts go this year?

Comment

Ordered just a couple of days ago our new 72" tree skirt arrived today. Finally found something that can keep up with the 9 ft. tree we get each year.

Comment

Hello all!

My Halloween went well, not as many TOTs this year as the last couple of years. I figured it would be extra busy with Halloween being on a Friday and all. Nope, it wasn't.

Been really stressful at work as we are showing the "Interstellar" movie in 35mm. Geez, I haven't worked with 35mm film in 7 plus years! (everything is digital these days) I am the only one left at the theatre who has ever built a print (put a 35mm film movie together), and I really have never built that many to begin with since I was always a manager and not a projectionist. It was fun, but stressful. When I previewed the movie before our first public showing, the print got "thrown" so it shut down the projector and I had to fix the print. I did build it 100% perfectly, so that made me very very happy! We get to show the movie 2 1/2 days early because we are showing it on film rather than digital. In fact, we are 1 of 3 theatres in the entire state of Nevada that is showing it early. I guess that was part of the bargain that the director made with Paramount Pictures. We had no problems with the film tonight for the sold out show, but I was up there watching the projector for the entire 3 hours rather than watching the movie. I am still stressed because we are going to show it all day tomorrow (Wednesday) and I am off. I don't want it to get damaged, but I really don't want to work a 14 hour shift on my day off..... Oh, the studio sent someone to come in and watch the entire movie to get back to them if there were any problems. Good thing there weren't!!!
            World's Best Manager

Comment

We had a lot of fun with our Western-themed Halloween display this year. Lots of people came by during the month to enjoy the haunt, but tot'ers on Halloween evening were way down. My count was 14. But they were all really nice and had cute costumes, which I always enjoy. There was some organized function in town, plus lots of Halloween parties, which we think took away from the traditional trick-or-treating we usually see. Finally today, I am closing in on organizing and boxing everything up for storage. Now I can start thinking about Christmas.

Comment

I was actually thinking of going to see Interstellar this weekend.

I'd go down to theedwin's theater to see it, but that's a bit of a trip for me.

I had a pretty average Halloween crowd. Was raining much of the day and was thinking I wouldn't get many kids, but it cleared around 7:15-7:30 and then the crowds started coming as normal.
                Nutcracker fetishist.
                Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Your tree skirt is larger than most trees Rybcon. And at that size you could use it as a rug the rest of the year. JK LOL.

Congrats Theedwin! Hopefully the showing continued to go on without a hitch!

Bummer ya'lls tot count was down. But still sounds like everyone had a good time. Awesome!

Vacation time! Always a good time! LOL Cancelled my trip to Chicago. Going to use the money set aside for both trips to get a new computer. With an updated system I'll be able to get a DAW ( digital audio workstation ) and interface for recording. This will get me two needed things. First I'll be able to get better microphones. The one I bought to replace the stolen one crapped out on me. Wasn't able to complete a song for an on line album project. Cigar Box Nation always puts out a Christmas album. I will be on that one! Secondly I'll be able to connect a turntable to my computer. Then use the daw to clean up and digitize old recordings. Done this before on a daw program called Acid Pro. It's long and tedious work. Can take up to hours to get one song done. But if I can add one song to the collective it's totally worth it! I can get most of the hissing out. Repair poor audio quality and remove pops caused by small scratches. Because it depends on the condition of the record the final recording can be a crap shoot. But well worth the time when it turns out nice.

I'll keep this older mac up and running. Use it for my records and to store photos on.
                  There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Originally posted by pine View Post
                    Going to use the money set aside for both trips to get a new computer. With an updated system I'll be able to get a DAW ( digital audio workstation ) and interface for recording. This will get me two needed things. First I'll be able to get better microphones. The one I bought to replace the stolen one crapped out on me. Secondly I'll be able to connect a turntable to my computer. Then use the daw to clean up and digitize old recordings. Done this before on a daw program called Acid Pro. It's long and tedious work. Can take up to hours to get one song done. But if I can add one song to the collective it's totally worth it! I can get most of the hissing out. Repair poor audio quality and remove pops caused by small scratches. Because it depends on the condition of the record the final recording can be a crap shoot. But well worth the time when it turns out nice.
                    Hey Pine....let me offer a couple of suggestions on your turntable (you probably know this already) but, if you have a liquid record cleaner make sure you use that to remove any finite dust and particles from the grooves in the LP's. Secondly, and this is very important, make sure your stylist (needle to most people) is in excellent shape! And if you can, make sure you balance the tone arm so that it won't be too heavy and start cutting the grooves deeper in the vinyl records. I think you can still get stylist scales from Radio Shack, or from a local electronic repair shop.

Also as a suggestion, I would maybe look at getting EV brand (Electro Voice) microphones. They are well balanced and I've used them for many years when I was singing and found them to be excellent in voice reproduction quality!
                    They tend to be a little more expensive than say a Shure or other brands but, over time I thing you will be really happy with the results it gives you!

Comment

How ironic that Putrid (Pine) is talking about records and I was talking about film. I guess it's old school week here on the forum! LOL

Well, so far so good on the 35mm film print! It finally wore itself in! (film prints need to do that).

I am already planning my Christmas display for the yard. This year's theme will be "Christmas Tree Lot".
                      World's Best Manager

Comment

Though the weather is forecasted to be on the warm side, I believe the wife want's to start the decorating process this weekend.

Comment

Paint, I would love to see pics of your Halloween display. I was suppose to do western this year but had to change. It is nice so many people enjoyed it. Sorry the ToT number was low. I am hearing that a lot which is strange. Usually Friday brings out more ToTs.

This was one of our best haunts ever. We scared the crap out of so many kids AND adults. Everyone loved it and we had a blast. Not sure about the turn out. I really had no way of tracking this year but guessing it was between 300-400 kids and adults. Mostly we get guests between 12-40. It is NOT small child friendly.

Our guests were sad this is our last year doing the back yard maze. At the end of the night our family and friends that put this together all head inside for pictures. There was an air of sadness knowing this was the end. One of our friends came all the way from England to be in our haunt again. I am not sure what will happen next year as this has been a family tradition to come here for years. I am still in a state of depression and find it effecting me at unexpected times.

On the up side...I can relax more and enjoy things like the local haunts. I will not be stressed over a time limit.
                          i now have more space in my attic, shed, closets, and yard. I put all my crappy scrap lumber, dilapidated props, doors, PVC, and anything else I will no longer need out by the road for the trash pickup. I still have more old wood and lumber to go out. I had it stored behind my shed and always hated the mess. I am annoyed as I had to rebuild all my walls this year and now I have about 15 new walls I have to tear down and throw out.

RYB...I am glad you were able to find an appropriate skirt. I do not like it when the skirt has a big gap due to being too small for the tree. You do a lot of indoor decorating so maybe it is not too soon to start.

EDWIN...I didn't know they still made film movies. Does that mean you have to have separate theater rooms for film and digital? Good thing all went well for the preview inspection. I am looking forward to hearing more about your Christmas display theme and seeing pics when you are done.

PINE...I hope the recording and cleanup processes go well for you.

i am cutting down on my Christmas display as well as Halloween. I just can't do much any more. I know the neighbor kids will be disappointed I am not putting up my sledding pond. It takes me about 3 hours of bending and stooping. It will go in the trash this year. I may still do a doll display using part of my sled display.

I apologize for writing so much. I don't post much so I thought I would make up for it. LOL.

dont forget to sign up for the card exchange and the ornament exchange.
                          http://christmasfanclub.com/showthread.php?t=4474i
                          http://christmasfanclub.com/showthread.php?t=4473

Comment

JW, I did a thread about the Western display on HF, and also have a photo album there. I basically had a jail, saloon, a sharp shooter on the roof under an arrow attack, a cowboy taking a bath, a skeleton woman working in the garden, and the Gemmy witch we always put out. We handed out candy and sheriff badges to the tot'ers.

I signed up for the ornament exchange. Now, off to sign up for the card exchange. I enjoy both of these exchanges every year!

Comment

The weather report for this weekend is for sunshine! Possible rain on Sunday but after that more sunshine for the first part of next week. I think it's a good time to start putting out some lights to get ready for Thanksgiving weekend!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 950 users online. 1 members and 949 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X