2014 July weekly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 July weekly

Happy July everyone !! Time is marching by.

What is everyone doing for the
    4th of July? I hope you all have a great time no matter what it is.

Hallmark channels are having 10 days of Christmas movies starting on July 4th. Christmas in July.
    Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

We are having my son and my soon to be daughter-in-law over for the day. I got a new smoker for Father's Day from my kids and I'm going to try it out. I doubles as a regular grill as well, but I really like to smoke my meats and fish. It just adds so much to the flavor of the food. The first one I had was a Brinkman stack smoker which finally rusted out. This one is also a Brinkman, but it's a horizontal smoker/grill and I'm getting ready to cure it so I can cook in it by Friday.

Going to have some smoked chicken, roasted corn on the cob, my world famous potato salad, deviled eggs, chips, and something to drink. For dessert, Marionberry pie with Vanilla Bean ice cream! YUM!!
    Last edited by Falasben; 07-02-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Mostly drinking and burning meat.

Gots me a Brinkmann smoker as well. Not sure if I'll use it this weekend though.
      The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Comment

Falasben, the menu sounds terrific. What time should we get there? Doesn't look like you need us to bring anything, LOL.

Oh wait, Rybcon can bring the beer!
        Last edited by Paint It; 07-02-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I'll be spending mine at home. A friend of mine is playing a gig at a convention in Pittsburgh. Going to be broadcast live on the net. Wish I was there but couldn't make it. So I'll be home watching his show on the net. Jealous and h........ but shouldn't be. This guy deserves this! Really hope this gig opens up more opportunities for him! Sat I'll be BBQing at my moms.

Made up my mind. I'm going to that convention in Chicago this year. Did a price comparison. Only going to cost me $59 more to go there that the other one I was looking at. Wish I could go to both. I'll put in for the time off tomorrow. Make the reservations tonight. It really does feel good to finally take real vacations. Get away from the house for a wile. Be cool to see the city I was born in. Parents moved from there a month after I was born so I can honestly say "I was born there but never been there." LOL I do plan on trying out for the variety show. Be awesome to be able to perform atleast one song.

And speaking of playing live. Still not sure if I'll be able to perform at the blues fest in Kansas City the coming Aug. Still not much info on the net right now. Be cool if they have an open mic. Be up there as many times as I can. LOL Either way I plan on going.

UPDATE
          Registered and going!!!!! Totally STOKED! As of right now this blows my budget for, well, just about everything. LOL Looks like I'll be volunteering overtime and weekends for.... the rest of the year. But man it's worth it! I missed the main hotel. The Hyatt Regency O'Hare. All it's rooms sold out quickly. So I'll be right across the street at the Hilton Rosemont. All of the double bed rooms have already sold out there. And this convention is in Dec....LOL All I need is one bed. Having a room by myself means I can get away from it all if needed. Last year they had 3904 registered attendance. Happy to raise that number by one!
          Last edited by pine; 07-02-2014, 07:32 PM. Reason: more info....
          There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Originally posted by Paint It View Post
            Falasben, the menu sounds terrific. What time should we get there? Doesn't look like you need us to bring anything, LOL.

Oh wait, Rybcon can bring the beer!
            Hey the more the merrier, as they say! Since I do the cooking at home, and some of the baking (when needed) I usually plan the menu and spend most of the time cooking food while everyone else is visiting. I've done these things for so many years now, I'm pretty used to it. But I'm always happy when everyone says they really liked the food!

Comment

Originally posted by Rybcon View Post
              Mostly drinking and burning meat.

Gots me a Brinkmann smoker as well. Not sure if I'll use it this weekend though.
              Those are really great smokers for the home user. This is my second one, cause I wore the first one out. I actually like my new one better because I don't have to bend over all the time to check on the food when needed. When I used to manage a paint store several years ago, I catered the painters summer BBQ, and we would have somewhere over 200 people show up just from the fact we also invited their families and co-workers and their families. We also had a winter breakfast that I catered as well for the painters and their crews, only. But I'm used to catering for somewhere between 500-1000 people when I used to manage restaurants.

Hey putrid, you might check into your local county and your state fairs. Most of the time they have open mics and are always looking for local talent!

Sorry....I know, I know....double post. Me thinks I learned it from putrid! LOL
              Last edited by Falasben; 07-02-2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I had an open area in the outdoor kitchen next to back counter so I built a platform and raised the smoker about 16".

Comment

Putrid - I was born in Chicago as well and then lived several years in the Carpentersville.

Comment

We be of sturdy northern stock Rybcon! Friend at work told me I'm going to enjoy Chicago. He starts telling me how to get places and where to go. Things to do and all. LOL He's also been to NY City and knows that's someplace I really want to see. Told me "It's not New York. But close enough to it to get an idea of what it's like." I'm looking forward to this vacation and convention!

Falasben, I know our county fair has live music. As well as all the other counties around us. I honestly don't see them allowing an open mic. You could get anyone up there saying anything. If I still knew and hung around with some of the musicians that will be playing at one I might have a chance. Even then it's a slim chance. Be cool though. Something to look into in the future. Because a slim chance is still better than no chance at all!

Hope to have Gin (pronounced guin) done by this con. The 6000+ studded full length coat. I've bought a bit over 10.000 studs for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4323Ginarm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	150896

Not sure if I'd said anything about this coat. It'll be covered with gears formed out of studs. Was going to have leather fringe. Settled on 18 inch black chainette fringe instead. You can see it going down the back of the arm in the above pic.

Name:	IMG_3681coatprev01.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	150897

Like the Srg Peppers coat I'll be able to wear this thing at different events. Yes I plan on playing guitar in it as well. Even if I do it sparingly. Estimating the finished coat will weigh around 30 pounds.

Also have plans for a complete regalia based on an American grass dance. Kinda like the pic below.

Name:	mensgrassdance.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	150898

I have a good fiend who used to do Native American dances. Told her what i was planning. When I told her I was planning on using none Native geometrical symbols she said 'good luck'. They have every geometrical shape imaginable. Honestly thinking about using modified Cuneiform. It's the first written real language known.
                    There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!!
                      Nutcracker fetishist.
                      Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Happy Fourth all!!

Putrid, I am so excited for you, that is so awesome!!!!!

My husband has a smoker too, a older one, square shape, but about 2 foot tall,, he mostly smokes fish, he has done other things too,,, jerky, etc. He hasn't used it in while, since his stroke I think,

Falsban,, wow,,, what a yummy spread,,, I now want to make deviled eggs,, love them dumb things even though I try not to eat eggs,,
                        my pinterest page: pinterest.com/betheneg

Comment

Hello all! Happy 4th!

It's Raining!!! We haven't had rain since February! Nice to hear on the roof again.

Lots of illegal fireworks going off in the neighborhood again this year. (even in the rain). What can the cops do when almost EVERYONE is doing it... LOL

I wanted to do something special for the employees who had to work on the 4th this year (myself included) so I made homemade BBQ pulled pork, MY world famous potato salad (ha ha Fals!) and coleslaw. I sent out an email to all the employees a couple of days ago letting them know that there would be a "picnic" in the office for them. So I made all of this for 65 of my employees who worked today. I knew I was a good cook, but I got so many compliments on everything I cooked today. (feels good)
                          World's Best Manager

Comment

Originally posted by theedwin View Post
                            Hello all! Happy 4th!

It's Raining!!! We haven't had rain since February! Nice to hear on the roof again.

Lots of illegal fireworks going off in the neighborhood again this year. (even in the rain). What can the cops do when almost EVERYONE is doing it... LOL

I wanted to do something special for the employees who had to work on the 4th this year (myself included) so I made homemade BBQ pulled pork, MY world famous potato salad (ha ha Fals!) and coleslaw. I sent out an email to all the employees a couple of days ago letting them know that there would be a "picnic" in the office for them. So I made all of this for 65 of my employees who worked today. I knew I was a good cook, but I got so many compliments on everything I cooked today. (feels good)
                            I see we are going to have to have a cook off now, to see who makes the "Best" Worlds Famous Potato Salad. I also ended up making my home made mac and cheese, with bacon bits added and 4 different cheeses. That was really great of you to do that for your employees, cause I know they really appreciated it. Although I didn't cook for 65 people, I think the biggest I cooked and catered for was about 1500 people for some company picnic way back when. But right now cooking for my family is busy enough for me these days.

So do you make your own bbq sauce, edwin?

Comment

What you two need to do is send me large portions of what you cook. Send them next day air in cool packs. You pay shipping. It's the price you pay to win! I'll decide who's the best. LOL

Man there were a LOT of fireworks going on around here last night. Not just the small one either. I heard one boom so loud it shook the ground. Was expecting to see someone's roof land in the street. LOL There were a few clouds in the sky. Some of these fireworks folks were lighting off actually flashed colors off of them. With all the trees and a somewhat hilly town it wasn't possible to see allot. But MAN the noise! I've lived here for a good time now. This 4th of July was the noisiest of them all! The few that did go off I could see between the trees were soon augmented by "STOP THAT!". The old lady that lives cattycorner to me stepped outside and started yelling at the skies. Boom 'stop that' boom 'stop that'. BOOM, 'STOP THAT'. So I walked to the front yard where I couldn't hear her and enjoyed the noise. She soon got tired of her efforts and went back inside. I imagine she spent the rest of the night calling 911. She's the one who calls 911 on you if your bbqing. Or if you have people over. Or if your mowing your lawn...... What ever keeps her happy. LOL The fireworks were still going off after midnight last night. Not just a few now and then. Still a noisy steady stream. Fell asleep listening to them.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 806 users online. 2 members and 804 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X