Easter as a hold-over until Christmas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter as a hold-over until Christmas?

So lately I've been thinking maybe I should start celebrating another holiday more in order to get myself to stop thinking about Christmas, at least for a while, during the year.

Ideally, such a holiday would be in the middle of the summer, so I've got a mid-year waypoint to focus on until Christmas.

That holiday, here in the US, would be the 4th of July, which is probably the 2nd-biggest holiday after Christmas anyway. And while I like the 4th of July, it doesn't really cut it as something I could really get into. I need something that ... well, let's just say I'm a pretty much about a 10-year old kid who happens to be "pushin' 50" on the outside. So there's gotta be some sort of "kid angle" to the holiday, like kid's stories, some sort of kid-centric mythology, etc. There's no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny-type character for the 4th of July, so it ain't gonna cut it. Plus, it's got to be something you would want to do extra decorating for. On the 4th of July people put flags out and the like, but it's not it's a big deal or anything.

Memorial Day and Labor Day obviously won't cut it either. Thanksgiving is already too close to Christmas. Valentine's Day is too soon after Christmas.

That leaves Easter and Halloween. I already do a bit of Halloween stuff (not much, though), but like Thanksgiving it's already getting too close to Christmas. That leaves me with Easter.

Of course Easter is a religious holiday, and while I've gone to church in the past I'm not terribly religious these days ... but all the same can be said for Christmas, and I can appreciate the holiday for its original meaning while focusing my attention on the "fun stuff." The problem is that there's not much in the way of "Easter music" and while the Easter bunny is fun, he's not nearly the same as Santa. So I'm left with trying to get into something that's only maybe one-fourth as big a deal as Christmas.

I was even looking for an Easter forum the other day but there's not much out there. At least there's a fair amount of Easter decorating ideas stuff on the internet and (if I recall correctly) on the newsstands in the month or so before Easter.

Anyone else here make a big deal out of Easter? I'm wondering how much of an effort I should make trying to get (more) into it, or will I just disappoint myself because it's still not like Christmas?

It can be difficult being a Christmas addict!!!
    Nutcracker fetishist.
    Visit my nutcracker blog

Perpetual, here is a thread I started about an Easter display I did one year. It was a lot of fun, and I am thinking about doing it again this year.

http://christmasfanclub.com/showthread.php?t=1175
    World's Best Manager

Comment

Oh yea, I remember that display, Edwin! I loved the "overachieving" chicken. That was great.

Perpetual--you could make a teeter-totter with Easter characters on it. Then use the teeter-totter for other holidays (like I do).

I'm planning to make a prop for GroundHog day next year.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas theedwin. Not sure what I might do but I can start thinking of stuff.
        Nutcracker fetishist.
        Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Think about being "Over Achieving!"

World's Best Manager

Comment

I hereby declare I believe in the Easter Bunny.

I'm starting to get in a bit of an Easter mood. I've even got an Easter theme on my computer.
            Last edited by Perpetual_Christmas; 02-25-2014, 07:24 PM.
            Nutcracker fetishist.
            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

I don't think I will do anything for Easter at work. Maybe throw some eggs in the candy displays, but that's about it. I have a blow up rabbit and some of those large plastic eggs that I will probably put in the yard. The kids in the neighborhood like it.
              World's Best Manager

Comment

Here's one thing I could do - and I have a great tree in my front yard to do this on: Make an "Easter Tree!"

Nutcracker fetishist.
                Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

That's cute!

One year when I was a kid at home I had a bunch of those little plastic eggs and I enclosed them around a few sets of mini white lights. I had to tape the eggs back together around the cords, but at night they lit up really neat.
                  World's Best Manager

Comment

An Easter tree huh? Well you don't see that every year, I would have to say that's a new one for me at least. Kids won't have a hard time finding the eggs there at that house.

Comment

Nice looking Eggplant! Great for target practice, too. * Ping, ping* Ping, ping*.........

Comment

I just made the radical step of replacing a lot of the Christmas pictures in my cubicle with Easter pictures.
                        Nutcracker fetishist.
                        Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Originally posted by Perpetual_Christmas View Post
                          I just made the radical step of replacing a lot of the Christmas pictures in my cubicle with Easter pictures.
                          Are you feeling well?

Comment

^I was wondering that myself while I was doing it.

I think my co-workers are going to think I've lost it as soon as they notice it (I was the only one in my dept. this afternoon). They're so used to seeing all this Christmas stuff in my cubicle that when they see all this Easter stuff they're gonna be like, WTF???
                            Nutcracker fetishist.
                            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

This is interesting - didn't know there was a lot of controversy over how the date for Easter was calculated:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computus

There's a difference between how the Western churches (Catholic, Protestant) and Eastern Orthodox churches calculate it. Frankly I prefer the Eastern Orthodox dates (see table on right side of page) - they're usually later. I hate it when Easter arrives early before it's warm and "spring-y" outside. Would much prefer to have an occasional Easter in early May rather than late March.
                              Nutcracker fetishist.
                              Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1085 users online. 4 members and 1081 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X