2014 February weekly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 February weekly

Wow .. it's hard to believe it is already February. Time sure is flying by. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I know mine will be busy. I will be out looking at new cars. While it's exciting to think about getting a new one it sure is a pain in the butt trying to find one that I like that meets my criteria. And then dealing with pesky salesmen .. ugh ! Fortunately I have a friend who is a killer negotiatior (I think he can make a salesman cry) so I am hoping to have him do all the negotiating for me. hee hee hee But first I have to pick a car. I have my list down to 9 cars. I (obviously) need to narrow it down some more. LOL. The thing with me is I am looking for a car that can go the distance. I had one car for 14 years and I am currently on 13 years with this one. So I don't want to spend a lot of money on something and then have it crap out in 5 years. Though I am beginning to wonder if that's even possible these days. Seems like quality has gone right down the toilet. Sigh.

Keep your fingers crossed.
    Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Bethene .. I hear you on the snow issue. I am back to seeing the ground in some areas of the yard but now they are talking about a big storm come Tuesday night. With "lots of precipitation". Looks like it will be all snow at my place. And it will probably be the heavy sticky stuff. So pretty to look at but heavy to move.
    But at least the days have been getting longer for over a month now and the sun is getting higher.

Theedwin .. how is Jeremy doing? I hope better. That is very nice of you to help him out. I am sure he appreciates it.
    Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

Originally posted by Viktorija View Post
      Wow .. it's hard to believe it is already February. Time sure is flying by. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I know mine will be busy. I will be out looking at new cars. While it's exciting to think about getting a new one it sure is a pain in the butt trying to find one that I like that meets my criteria. And then dealing with pesky salesmen .. ugh ! Fortunately I have a friend who is a killer negotiatior (I think he can make a salesman cry) so I am hoping to have him do all the negotiating for me. hee hee hee But first I have to pick a car. I have my list down to 9 cars. I (obviously) need to narrow it down some more. LOL. The thing with me is I am looking for a car that can go the distance. I had one car for 14 years and I am currently on 13 years with this one. So I don't want to spend a lot of money on something and then have it crap out in 5 years. Though I am beginning to wonder if that's even possible these days. Seems like quality has gone right down the toilet. Sigh.

Keep your fingers crossed.
      Good luck with your hunt for a new car. I just went through this in October. I did a lot of research online about the cars I was interested in and then spent a couple of days travelling out of town to go to see them on the car lots. I was interested in a Kia since my sister has had a couple of them and loves them and my mother also has one but there isn't a Kia dealership within 500 miles of me. I decided to concentrate on the dealerships within 200 miles and what I could afford. When I was doing my search I took some cars off my list when I saw them in person. Then for me it was narrowed down to a Ford Focus, Toyota Carolla and a Chevy Cruz. After taking them for road tests and finding out about all the extra costs, such as tires, I decided on the Toyota Corolla. I was dealing with two Toyota dealerships, one was about an hour away and the other about 1 1/2 hours away and I wanted to deal with the one that was closer for many reasons including travel time for repairs etc. I went to the dealer farthest away and got a good deal from them then I went to the other guys and when I showed them the printout of the deal I was being offered at the other dealership they agreed to what I was asking. They knew I had done a lot of research on prices of cars, insurance rates for each car model and the price of tires. I told them what was important to me and it wasn't all about money and if they didn't give me what I wanted I would take the other deal. It helped that they checked with the other dealership and knew that they would give me the deal I wanted and they knew I was serious and I would walk away so they matched the deal and threw in free mounting and balancing of the tires. I got the car for 0% financing over 7 years.

When I was trying to make my decision between the final three cars I was looking at I called around to insurance offices and tire shops to see what the insurance rates would be on each model and then how much it would be for arctic rated studded tires (on rims). It would have cost me about $1500 to get the tires on rims so I negotiated with Toyota to have them thrown into the deal or I would walk away from the sale because there was no way I could buy new winter tires on top of everything else. They offered to come down a $1000 and I said no because it is cheaper for them to get the tires then it is for me and they finally agreed. They included mounting and balancing of the tires so now both the winter and summer tires are on thier own rims. When I called around about the tires it would have cost me more to put the same tires on a Ford Focus than it would to put them on the other two cars but nobody seemed to know why. That is what popped up on the computer when they punched in the make and model of the cars. The car insurance would also have been over $300 more annually for the Ford Focus than the Toyota or the Chevy Cruz. When I asked them why they said that thieves probably like the Ford Focus. It had more bells and whistles then the other two cars but I am more concerned about getting a good deal that I could afford and not being swayed by all the pretty stuff. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had the least amount of leg room because of the fancy knobs and buttons on the console. THe Chevy Cruz had the same bells and whistles but they were positioned better in the car and had more leg room. It sure was a nice car though.

My car is pretty basic, it doesn't have a lot of flash in it but compared to my other car it has all the right bells and whistles like headlights that work, heat, wipers, and it runs without dying on the side of the road each time I take it out and there is no smoke coming out of the hood when I drive the car.

I was also very nervous about spending so much money on a new car but I didn't have a choice because I live in the country and I need to get to work so I know how you feel about spending so much on a new car. I had my other cars for a long time and I drove my last car for 20 years so I also want to make sure I get a lot of years out of the new one. I am very happy with my new car and even though it isn't fancy (doesn't even have electric windows which my son thinks is wierd) I love it more every day. It is fun to drive again. I have missed that feeling of enjoying the long drives out of town to shop or whatever. I started to dread them and then couldn't even drive out of town for about two or three years because I didn't trust my car and had too ride with my son of another family member. It is nice to be able to get up and go whenever I need to without relying on others. My new car =freedom. Love it!

I hope you find something you love. It is an exciting and sometimes scary thing to do but you will sure enjoy it in the end.

Sorry for the long post. I just realised how long it is.
      Last edited by mariem; 02-01-2014, 09:45 PM. Reason: Sorry
      https://www.pinterest.com/weewee50/

Comment

Seems like we really just celebrated the New Year yesterday! I wonder what tomorrow will bring, will Punxsutawney Phil see his shadow or not. If you live where I do right now it seems that Spring has sprung already except for the really cold weather here. We are expecting highs in the mid 20's by Wednesday and lows in the teens. We are back to sunny days, and no rain in sight as of yet.

So will Spring start early or will Phil see his shadow and hide again so we winter will last a little longer? Will be interesting to find out! I'm hoping for a little more winter, just so we can get some rain around here!

Comment

Mariem .. Congrats on the new car. I am glad you are enjoying it. Thank you for all the information. You've given me alot to think about.

By the way .. I certainly can relate to wanting to get a lot of years out of a car.

I went to 3 car dealers yesterday and looked at cars. I was hoping that seeing some in person would help me scratch them off of the list. I might be scratching one off of the list but that's it. I really need to narrow the list down. At one dealer they had a car that I was interested in but they had only the sedan, not the hatchback ... and I really want to see the hatchback. I just went online and looked at the inventory of some of the dealers and only 1 had a hatchback. And of course it's the dealer that's the furthest away. Figures. I guess I am going for a drive today. But that will give me a chance to hit another dealership too.

I want to get to the dealers today as they are talking about a big snowstorm on Wednesday. Right now it's easy to get to the cars in the lots because there is no snow in the lots.
          One salesman told me it takes them 1-2 days to clear the snow out of the lots after a storm.
          Unfortunately they (understandably) leave alot of the cars on the lot locked. I just want to sit in a car and see how I like it without listening to some sales pitch from a salesmen.

I can't wait to finally get a car and get this overwith.

Comment

Originally posted by Viktorija View Post
            Mariem .. Congrats on the new car. I am glad you are enjoying it. Thank you for all the information. You've given me alot to think about.

By the way .. I certainly can relate to wanting to get a lot of years out of a car.

I went to 3 car dealers yesterday and looked at cars. I was hoping that seeing some in person would help me scratch them off of the list. I might be scratching one off of the list but that's it. I really need to narrow the list down. At one dealer they had a car that I was interested in but they had only the sedan, not the hatchback ... and I really want to see the hatchback. I just went online and looked at the inventory of some of the dealers and only 1 had a hatchback. And of course it's the dealer that's the furthest away. Figures. I guess I am going for a drive today. But that will give me a chance to hit another dealership too.

I want to get to the dealers today as they are talking about a big snowstorm on Wednesday. Right now it's easy to get to the cars in the lots because there is no snow in the lots.
            One salesman told me it takes them 1-2 days to clear the snow out of the lots after a storm.
            Unfortunately they (understandably) leave alot of the cars on the lot locked. I just want to sit in a car and see how I like it without listening to some sales pitch from a salesmen.

I can't wait to finally get a car and get this overwith.
            Just a word of caution before signing on the dotted line for a new or used car. Check with your insurance agent to see what insurance will cost you for a hatchback versus a 4 door sedan. I know.....there used to be a lot of negative vibe on 4 doors, but companies are building them to be more sporty and to look nicer. I was told by my agent that hatchbacks are in the same category as a two door. Also manual drive (stick shift) is cheaper insurance wise than an automatic drive car. But most cars today are now automatics, and manual transmissions are harder to find these days.

But check with you agent to see what they say about cost. If you can afford the extra in cost on insurance then I say go for it! The thing I like about 4 doors is that I don't have to get out and move the seat forward to haul extra people, plus you usually get more room inside. If your insured through a company like State Farm, you can purchase a car through them. So check with your agent to see how they can help you in making a decision in buying a car.

Comment

Lots of snow here right now. At work they called all the trucks back. No one is shipping tomorrow. Was going to jam with a guitar player sometime over the weekend. Not going to happen. Looks like we'll get hit again by Fri or Sat.

I've bought cars from the same lot for years now. All from the same salesman. Asks me what features I want. I answer. He points me to the cars and I go look. I come back and ask for keys. I ask questions and he gives me answers. No sales pitch. Plenty of small talk in between. Don't mind that at all. Guess I've been blessed not having to deal with puppy people. Salespeople that jump around like excited puppies and say well rehearsed pitches. I tend to let them know i don't want their attention. Nor do I want their opinion. As far as insurance goes I keep full coverage on my car.
              There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Snowday! Took the day off of work. Figured it'd would have taken me a bit of time to shovel out the end of my driveway. Would have been late for work anyway. So it's a snowday for me.
                There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Speaking about snow, looks like we are going to get a few inches by the weeks end. Starting early Thursday morning and going on till Sunday when things start to warm up a bit. They are telling us possible 6", but we will see. I'm looking outside right now and it's clear skies, a high of 35 today and low of 15! We shall see.....

Comment

It warmed up to 15 as I went threw town earlier. LOL Looks like they took the snow out of the forecast for us this weekend. It's alright, we have enough for now.

Comment

very cold here too, 4 inches last night , a couple over night, something over the weekend, but no huge storm as far as I can tell so far.. but the 4 inches we got last night was supposed to be about a inch and a half to 2, so what do they know!!!!!!!!

I think I told you about our little kitten we got right after Christmas, he had resipitory (SP?) infection, and bad ear infections, he went through 2 series of antibiotics and also now is on his 2nd dose of ear drops. there was concern of him having feline leukemia , which is real bad, about a 3 year life span, as well as being contagious. well,,, thankfully he does not have it, so thankful.. I have fallen so in love with this little guy
                      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
                      Last edited by bethene; 02-05-2014, 10:31 PM.
                      my pinterest page: pinterest.com/betheneg

Comment

It's snowing here, and all along Interstate 5 we've had major pile ups. One down in Albany which is about 20 minutes south of us, where there was a 20 car pile up and another one about 8 miles south of there. Weather man is saying up to 10" here, so we'll see. The biggest thing we have to worry about is the ice under the snow. By Sunday though it's supposed to turn to rain. But the transition between then is freezing rain and then finally just rain by Monday. To be honest it's a good thing cause we need the moisture here, especially in the mountains.

Comment

we have had over 88 inches so far this season. we could see well over 100 inches, we are well over the average ,

Other wise,,, not much new at all
                          my pinterest page: pinterest.com/betheneg

Comment

Falasben stole my snow. Earlier in the week they said we were going to get some towards the end of the week, but it all went south.
                            Nutcracker fetishist.
                            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Bethene, that little guy is so precious. I hope he stays healthy.

Well, there is still no news worth mentioning in my life. I got tired of whining about my health. While our weather has been worse than any other year here in FL (we actually had an ice storm last week, it is still mostly better than yours. So no point in dragging that out. I haven't been anywhere or done anything exciting.

But I thought I better check in. I do come on here every day and read all your posts. I just haven't been in the mood to talk much. Can you believe that? Stay warm and drive carefully everyone.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 951 users online. 2 members and 949 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X