? Anyone know how to deflock plastic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? Anyone know how to deflock plastic?

Anyone have an idea or how to on getting thick flocking off of plastic. Gotta strip all that off my horse so I can start refinishing it.
    thanks

Here's a pic of the horse again,

There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Hey Putrid,

That flocking stuff is usually blown on after the horse is sprayed with a glue. My best guess (and this IS a guess) is that it is most likely a fast drying water based glue. I would triy some denatured alcohol (not TOO much) Remember, denatured alcohol will attack plastic, so I would use a very damp rag with it at first to see if it will remove it. If that doesn't work, try some lacquer thinner (again, not too much) same issue, it will attack plastic. Use the same method as the alcohol to see if it removes the flocking.

Most paint strippers will contain substances that will also attack plastic, unless you get one that is pretty much "green" unfortunately, they take forever to do anything.

Hope this helps.

-Craig
    I SWEAR I plugged those things in before I put them up. They were working......THEN.

Comment

If the glue is aged, I'm wondering if a paint scraper will scrape it off?
      People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Thanks Craig, I've tried alcohol with out much success. The hose is kinda old. Almost positive it would be a petroleum or animal based glue. Are there any glue removers out there?

Sickie Ickie, that'd work but I'd scratch up the plastic as well. I've tried using steel wool. It gets the loose stuff of but then starts to scratch.
        There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

what about stripper?
          People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

How about a really light sand blasting or maybe pressure washing it? (I would lean toward pressure washing it). I don't know if they have smaller tools for pressure washing, just a suggestion.
            World's Best Manager

Comment

There ARE glue strippers out there, but they tend to be methyline-chloride based (basically paint stripper) pretty nasty to plastic or vinyl. If the D-alcohol didn't work, I would try the lacquer thinner idea (carefully and in an inconspicuous spot)
              I SWEAR I plugged those things in before I put them up. They were working......THEN.

Comment

soak it in goo gone?

Comment

If you use a self leveling paint, would scratches matter?

Comment

When I sanded my 55 gallon plastic barrel I used really fine sand paper along with a good plastic primer. The spots I didn't sand pealed a little.
                    Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

Comment

good tip, Chris

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 935 users online. 1 members and 934 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                      X