you can do smooth or squiggle the glue
    taper towards the end
    do 2 of the same size -
    draw icicle on a piece of paper, set paper under parchment paper
    copy over that with your glue
    straighten hanger out leaving one end with hook
    lay a thin bead glue on warm setting over flat side of one icicle
    set your straight end of hanger onto glue
    ( make sure hook end is at the top of wider end of icicle - about a 1 inch out top at least to hang)
    then place other icicle you made on that flat side down, squish together.
    Now paint on your glitter glue or floating medium mixture- medium and glitter,
    or elmers glue and glitter
    hang and let dry
    You can leave them plain too if your glue dries clear
    If you use on trees make sure regular lights do not touch it may melt them,
    LED's may be okay, but I am not sure on those
    Last edited by Xmaslilly; 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM.

Xmaslilly the icicles are beautiful they look so real and store bought. sickie is going to love those.(with all the glue sticks being used)
    Thanks for the how to's. I also liked the snow flakes you made with the glue sticks I was going to try to make those, now I'll definatley be adding the iciles to my list.

Comment

That is great, lilly! I'm with nancj --- one more project for the list for next year!
      "Not too hot. Extra chocolate. Shaken, not stirred. "

Comment

Needless to say, I ADORE hot glue! I call Lilly my Hot Glue Queen, because I can depend on her to think up all kinds of creative stuff with hot glue! You go, gal!
        People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Cool how-to Xmaslilly! I do have one question, are the icicles clear when done? Thanks.
          There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Putrid, I sell hot glue as a very small (microscopic?) business, so I hope Lilly doesn't mind me answering this. heh Whether or not the hot glue is clear or not depends on what kind you are using. To make things extremely simple though, if the glue stick looks clear, your glue project will clear. If it looks cloudy, your glue project will be cloudy.

Of an interesting note, you can mix acrylic paint and hot glue for different colors, but it's extremely messy and the paint can burn. I've done it and it's great for cutom colors not found anywhere else, but 99% of the time I personally stick with colored glue sticks because it is soooooo much easier.

Experiment with colors other than clear, too. For example, I sell white glue sticks, glow n the dark and UV black light reactive ones, too. In my opinion these all would work, but each would be acceptable for different scenes.
            Last edited by Sickie Ickie; 01-12-2008, 11:28 PM.
            People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Thanks for the info Sickie Ickie. (and the sale pitch. JK LOL ) Clear is what I need for a project I'm thinking about.
              There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

I admit it, occasionally I do a sales pitch. heh Business has been rough since after Halloween.

I will tell ya I don't carry clear usually because it can be picked up so easily in stores. Michaels has the clear, as well as many dollar stores who carry the minis.

Comment

Wow these are a great idea xmaslilly, thanks for posting.
                  "Watch out were the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow". F.Z.

Comment

Sickie Ickie, and yours was the first place I looked too. Clicked on your link after reading your post. Now here ya got me all excited and you don't sell the stuff. LOL Well the good news is when your Santaprojects.com takes off you'll get exposed to more folks. Should start to see an increase in sales by mid July when die-hard crafters start there Christmas rush.

Thanks again Xmaslilly for posting this how-to. These are exactly what I need for a project I'll be trying soon.

Comment

LOL nope. don't sell the regular stuff. The dollar stores and other stores actually carry them cheaper than I could sell + mail them for. I've always been about providing the best quality at low cost for a win-win situation. I couldn't face myself for charging more and having the customer lose. Let's face it, the adhesive properties in the clear dollar store glue may not be the best, but most of the time it's for crafts anyway, so who cares?

I hope the biz takes off again in march. I only started it last Aug.

BTW, I'm thinking of adding "credit card" hot glue sticks to my line. This would be the rubbery stuff that peels off. I think this would be great for holding things on a temporary basis where you don't WANT something adhered permanently all year long. I'm gonna start a thread and need your guys opinions on it.

Comment

thanks guys....
                        no prob sickie on answering that ?.

Comment

Thanks Lil. heh Didn't want to hijack your thread. I'm still waiting for this to appear at SP.

Comment

okay i'll send it over ..I will put it under snowflakes but you can change that if you want.

Comment

Just approved it.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2716 users online. 8 members and 2708 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
                              X