Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Carousel

Hey Everyone!

Well, I have told you that I was planning on building a carousel AFTER the train was completed this year. I got to thinking about where in the HECK I was going to place the silly thing in the front yard (it is getting a bit crowded there.) Solution:

1) All wire frame reindeer will have collapsable (easier storage) wedge shaped platforms built for them in order that they can stand level on the roof. This gives a better look to the roof AND gives more room on the ground. It also opens up more possibilites for roof displays.

2) Inflatables will be re-positioned in order to allow for the placement of the railroad track and Frosty Falls Depot.

3) I will incorporate the base of the carousel with the mega tree and the (as yet to be built) water fountain in the front yard.

Pic one shows the design (forgive my LOUSY artistry and penmanship) of the hinge that I will have constructed for the mega tree. The lower stem will slip into the pipe that is concreted into the ground (as was used last year) The upper stem will accept the existing mega tree pole. This will allow me to set the tree up much safer and easier and with fewer people (I believe I have gone over this in the thread "Mega Tree 101") It will also facilitate an easier and safer tear-down after the season.

Pic two shows how the mega tree will be centered in the base of the fountain (the fountain will be circular in construction). The hinge point will be higher than depicted (about level with the top of the fountain base - and I failed to show in the drawing that the fountain base is like a huge tub, not a solid block) ANYHOW, during the warmer months, the mega tree and hinge point will be absent, and the fountain (which is easily removable) will be there, cheerfully splashing water and a joy to hear and see..... When it starts getting colder, and freezing becomes a possibility, the fountain is removed and stored. The hinge point is re-inserted and allows me to construct the mega tree.

On top of the fountain base, is where I will be placing the carousel. It will be built in a modular format, allowing easy setup and tear-down. The lights of the mega tree will most likely stop at the canopy of the carousel. This will allow the display of a mega tree, carousel, and water fountain in the same footprint on the ground. I will also be running electrics to the front yard as I did for the back yard (TRYING) to get rid of so many extension cords (yeah, and I will stop building props too , HA!)

Project after THAT, will likely be a ferris wheel for 2012!

Yeah, I know, I'm nuts. Welcome to my world!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Craig; 06-19-2010, 10:48 AM. Reason: additional information
    I SWEAR I plugged those things in before I put them up. They were working......THEN.

I can't wait to see it.

Comment

Totally cool Craig!!! If I read this right you are going to use reindeer for your carousel? I am liking this idea!!!
      Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

Comment

Thanks Chris!

Actually, I am going to put the reindeer on the roof of the house to make room in the yard. The carousel will be using "wonder horse" horses for the animals.
        I SWEAR I plugged those things in before I put them up. They were working......THEN.

Comment

I'm exhausted just reading your plans!
          You've got a lot on your plate this year, Craig! Sounds like an awesome prop.

Comment

wake me up when it is finished please... (what EG said!)
            World's Best Manager

Comment

Hey Grinch and Edwin!

I won't even be STARTING on the carousel this year (title of the thread is 2011 Carousel) But I can plan and get ready to attack the whole thing this year. I DO intend to have the "hinge point" made for the mega tree this year, however. THAT just makes sense for setting the thing up AND it will make it a whole lot easier to take it down.

Heck, here it is the middle of June and already, I am stoked about Christmas!

Comment

As well you should be! You have awesome props.
                People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Thanks Sickie

Comment

Craig,

While I don't know enough about the size of your mega tree and what the pole is made of, I am concerned about the strength of that hinged joint. I suggest you start a thread on planet christmas under mega tree forum. Explain what you're thinking & with a much detail as you can. There are a lot of mega tree builders over there, that have learned some valuable lessons the hard way. I sure don't want to hear about anybody getting hurt or losing your tree to Mr. Wind Meister.

Joe

Comment

I appreciate the concern on the mega tree, but I can assure you that the hinge will be strong enough (I am going to have it built from at least 1/4" plate steel (and I will consult with my shop about it as well) There will be a double hinge (not just two pieces with a bolt through it - think of interlacing your fingers)

Comment

Craig
                        I still don't understand the purpose of the hinge down so low. Can you enlighten me a little?

Comment

Originally posted by Just Whisper View Post
                          Craig
                          I still don't understand the purpose of the hinge down so low. Can you enlighten me a little?
                          Hey JW!

When I drew that picture of the hinge (with the fountain base) I was NOT thinking of a couple of things. The hinge will actually be higher than depicted in the drawing, at least even with the top of the fountain base, and probably a little higher. That would allow the pole for the tree to rest on the ground (on the top end) when it is being pur together.

That was my bad in the drawing (in short I screwed up!)

Comment

How tall are you talking for mega tree mine are minis that are somewhere in the range 15 16 or 17 feet(i never measured) and very easy nothing complicated about the way i do mine and very sturdy. I bet you can get easy 20 from the way i do mine maybe even 25ft. Mine survived some wind last year so they will put up a pretty good fight! AND mine break down and store in the corner

Comment

Hey Frosty!

I'd say approximately 20 -22 ft. I built it pretty sturdy, and I am pretty confident it will be ok.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 722 users online. 0 members and 722 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X