This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commonly Used Terms

Someone pm'ed me and suggested that we start a list of real definitions for those who may be a bit confused about what we are talking about. I think it is a very good idea, so feel free to contribute and I'll make this thread a sticky.

Just copy and paste from here down and add what you'd like to.

--------------

AAT- Already Animated Thing. aka That stuffed puppy dog that moves its mouth to sing a song when you press the paw.

Blow Mold- A plastic hollow statue lit internally with one or more lights.

Coroplast- Corrugated plastic similar to cardboard, but weatherproof. Often used for signs or cutouts.

CFL- Compact Florescent Bulb. Different from the incandescent bulbs we grew up with, the florescent bulbs are made to illuminate just as brightly with less watts (saving money.)

Cutout- Otherwise known as a Standee or Standup, this is a picture of a character or object that has been cut out of a material (wood, pink foam, chloroplast, cardboard, etc.) so it can be made free standing.

Decker- A person who decorates for Christmas by making props.

Haunter- Someone who decorates for Halloween by making props.

Great Stuff- Spray insulation in a can. This also can be used to make props.

LOR- This abbreviation stands for Light-O-Rama, which is a leading manufacturer of user programmable light controllers. Their controllers and software allows you to be in control of your lights to sync them to music, or whatever stirs your fancy.

Plushy- Stuffed Animal, usually with a material resembling fur.

Pink Foam- This as an extruded foam (sometimes Blue) that usually comes in a 4' x 8' sheet of different thickness to insulate a house. For our purposes, we usually use it to make props.

PM- Private Message. This is like private forum e-mails members can send each other.

Prop- An object that has been made for decorating for a a holiday. In our case, most props have been handmade.

Sticky- A thread that is made a "sticky" stays the first thread seen in a given category for maximum exposure. The moderator or owner of the forum has the tools to do this.

Styrofoam- This differs from Pink Foam in that instead of being extruded (smooth), this is made up of lots of little beads. This can also be used in much the same way Pink Foam is, however it is more messy to work with.

Tinsel the Elf- The name of our Elf mascot.

Wall Wart (Wort)- The wall outlit. However it is often used interchangeably with the nickname for an adapter that you plug into the wall outlit to make something run.
    Last edited by Sickie Ickie; 04-26-2010, 07:36 PM.
    People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

YAY!!! AAT was First!!!
    World's Best Manager

Comment

Next comes "B". LOL
      The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Comment

Actually Sickie, AAT stands for Already animated THING (not toy) These things are NOT toys!!!!!
        World's Best Manager

Comment

I stand corrected, and the list is fixed for ya Edwin.
          People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Hey Sickie, you MAY want to include what, exactly a "sticky" is too
            I SWEAR I plugged those things in before I put them up. They were working......THEN.

Comment

Sickie Ickie, what about adding 'haunter' to the list?
              There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Noted and added.

Comment

Would someone please add LOR to the list. I cannot explain it well enough but I know it will come up again.

Comment

Added it at your request.

Comment

To make it easier for new folks to know what this thread is all about what about changing the title to the thread to something like 'commonly used terms and their explanations.' the title it has now kinda sounds like a Greatfull Dead song. LOL

By the way, great idea for a threat. Helps new members and lurkers know what we're talking about. Totally cool!
                      There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

I can't take credit for the thread idea. A member here PM'ed me and suggested it. However I thought it was a great idea, too!

What does everyone else think? Should the thread title be changed? Personally, I like short and sweet, but I can change it if others think the title doesn't define this enough.
                        Last edited by Sickie Ickie; 11-12-2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I like Putrid's idea, you COULD shorten it to just "Commonly Used Terms"

or "Definitions of Commonly Used Terms"

I know I needed to do a bit of research when I first started, to find out what the HECK everyone was talking about (not sure I know YET!)
                          I SWEAR I plugged those things in before I put them up. They were working......THEN.

Comment

Commonly used terms? I could go along with that. Consider the thread name changed.

Comment

ADHD--Attention Deficit Holiday Disorder: Building so many props at the same time you forget whether you're coming or going!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2079 users online. 6 members and 2073 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X