Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for Christmas

Anyone else a major planner?
    I set up a "Christmas Planner" this year which is basically just a folder that I stuck old family Christmas photos to the front of and inside holds all my recipes, gift ideas lists, addresses, and pretty much every other kind of list that I may need. I'm a major planner/organiser anyway, but Christmas just heightens it by so much more.
    What do you do to plan for Christmas or are you more of a wing-it kind of person? Anyone else also have a Christmas binder?

I just usually end up winging it. Each year I think of some great plans and don't follow through on them. I have started making some new items for my display and it is what ever I am in the mood for that week. Or what strikes my fancy. I am somewhat disorganized with things. I procrastinate and wait until the last minute to do things. Work better under pressure.

Comment

Things will be the same for me this Christmas. I travel to Northern Alabama to spend Christmas with my sister and her family. I have been doing that for the past 11 years.

Comment

Every year right before Thanksgiving, we usually decide on how we want to decorate for Christmas. This year, I think we are going all out because of my son getting back together with his former fiance, now just girlfriend (here we go again). Because she has a son we will bring out just about everything we have in way of decor. Haven't really done that since my kids were young, so it will be really nice to see once again.

Guess I will be starting earlier than usual on the outside, so the lights can go on that Black Friday weekend!
        Last edited by Falasben; 09-28-2016, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I use 2 items religiously for planning. An Excel XLS that has my light inventory and then keeps track of my controllers and power grid.

The other is One Note. I have a folder per year and keep track of ideas, websites, notes etc... I like it because its searchable.

However, I too have my fair share of winging it........
          Mark Zembruski
          www.WoodinvilleWonderland.com
          LOR - Lynx - SanDevices - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
          I have the C.L.A.P. - Do You?
          ~ Christmas is not a time ~ It's a state of mind ~

Comment

My name is Don and Im a Christmas/decorating addict.....oh Im sorry I thought this was like a decorating anonymous meeting. JK I pretty much plan all year by picking up sale and clearance stuff and everything get put out and set up on Black friday and lit that night. I have been known to draw out schematics for christmas as early as march. Its the best hobby I have ever had

Comment

I use to have a notebook for Halloween and Christmas. My Halloween book was so thick, filled with schematics, blueprints, ideas, maps, photos, etc. I started early Jan planning for Halloween. My Christmas book was not so thick. But I loved planning, looking for new ideas online, drawing sketches of my own ideas, making inventory of what I had and what I needed for that year, etc. I usually didn't start until the week after Halloween. Now my display is much smaller. I open my garage door, drag stuff down from the attic, and start throwing it up in the front yard. No planning. I just make it up as I go along.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Mcabee View Post
                My name is Don and Im a Christmas/decorating addict.....oh Im sorry I thought this was like a decorating anonymous meeting. JK I pretty much plan all year by picking up sale and clearance stuff and everything get put out and set up on Black friday and lit that night. I have been known to draw out schematics for christmas as early as march. Its the best hobby I have ever had
                What a great post.
                You're right .. the best hobby ever.
                Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

My decorating is pretty simple and straightforward so I end up winging it. Though sometimes I look at photos of what I've done in the past for guidance.
                  The closest I've come to planning is a couple of years I put a lot of lights up outside so I made a diagram to figure out what goes where. How to string it up to reach the outlets. etc.
                  Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

I used to go all out with the spread sheets, binders, emails, and the file boxes - I was a lot younger and crazy then. These days I wing it with very little planning (more like day dream and journaling). It's just my husband I and no kids. My husband is a farmer and would work 365 days a year if he could and he wasn't raised in a holiday celebrating family. I decorate for me, although last year he had to have a penguin tree.... maybe that's the beginning of something.

Comment

We always have a general plan but the foyer can change year-to-year. It's something we'll start discussing much earlier in the year in case there are things we need to get. The last couple of years we have gone with a 40s theme. This year we're thinking of putting in 5 or 6 trees with white lights creating a pathway to walk through as you enter the living area.
                      The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by Rybcon View Post
                        We always have a general plan but the foyer can change year-to-year. It's something we'll start discussing much earlier in the year in case there are things we need to get. The last couple of years we have gone with a 40s theme. This year we're thinking of putting in 5 or 6 trees with white lights creating a pathway to walk through as you enter the living area.
                        I LOVE the idea of the trees creating a pathway in the foyer. If you do that would you please post some photos so that we can see how it came out.

Comment

ID LOVE TO SEE A PICTURE OF THAT pathway

Comment

You all have such wonderful ideas and I like the mix of careful planning and winging it. We usually spend the first week of December just looking for everything because we never seem to remember where we've put things and I'm sure little elves creep into my house at winter and just move everything around because things are never where I remembered putting them last year. We also usually end up buying a new tree stand because we've lost the old one. But it's my parents house and it is literally filled to the rafters with stuff so it's a miracle we can ever find anything anyway haha. This year I'm determined to be more organised. Hence the planner. I'm thinking of laying out everything we have some time in November and deciding on a theme. I'm very much into the idea of decorating past the living room (pretty much all my parents do), I've seen lovely things on Pinterest about ribbon on kitchen cupboards and wreaths in windows. I want almost every room to feel festive. I will also 100% remember where we put the decorations this year (okay, maybe 95%, but I will try to make a note of it in my planner).

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1267 users online. 4 members and 1263 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                            X