Securing Blow Mold Displays For Wind and Theft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing Blow Mold Displays For Wind and Theft

Well today I experienced a massive windstorm and downpour which nearly destroyed my entire Halloween display. After a days work I am back in order and everything is running again. It got me thinking the one area that didnt come apart was the roof display. The roof display is mounted on a "Hitching Post" I built onto the house specifically to secure blow molds with 30lb test wire. I typically display the rare and spendy blow molds up there for safety. In 2010 my Beco Choir kids took a nose dive in a storm from that area and I then built a hitching post to secure them.

My thoughts are that this years Christmas display will primarily be in the flower beds so I will be building Hitching posts that I will sink small poles into the ground for support and then have beams running to those poles and secured. The posts will run the length of the house and all blow molds can be secured to the poles. I will run wire through the light kit of the blow mold and out the base. I will then attach that wire to the post making it impossible to blow over and difficult for theft or vadals. Any thoughts on this process? Anyone else make Hitching posts?

And as a shameless plug to show my Halloween Display here is a news broadcast of our Halloween display this year. Note: The roof scene with the vulture and spooky trees are attached to the "Hitching Post"

http://www.gowedia.com/videos/2012/o...lloween-house/

Do you have a pic to what you are talking about? Words seem to get jumbled for me.

Nice yard set up. Looks like a video reporter documentary. Never seen the vulture blow mold you have!
    Last edited by Sickie Ickie; 10-17-2012, 08:22 AM.
    People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Thanks Sickie that was the local news reporting on our Haunt for their website. The hitching post is what the Vulture is attached to. Here is a day shot of the same area. The hitching posts would look simular but without the bricks as pillars. I use weighted brick pillars on the roof version to help with wind. I am looking to just build the wood Hitching posts in the yard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	430548_231042220358612_600723993_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	147258

Comment

Cool video Gris! Awesome display!
        GOD BLESS US EVERY ONE!
        Lights on Park Lakes, like it on Facebook!

Comment

Quote from Gris: And as a shameless plug to show my Halloween Display here is a news broadcast of our Halloween display this year. Note: The roof scene with the vulture and spooky trees are attached to the "Hitching Post"

Don't feel bad, Gris. I am shameless on here a lot. Love the video. Congratulations.

Comment

Cool display & sorry you had damages. Beautiful babies too.

I used to use ziplock bags filled with sand to hold my molds in place.This year I'm going with mending plate braces instead. I did this with my uncle sam molds then staked the other 2 holes -
            It seemed to hold very good but then again it is a smaller mold.I will add 2 of them to the bigger molds.

Comment

Totally cool you were able to get back up and running. Great Vid!

All of the blow molds are first bolted to wood. Then that wood is both spiked into the ground and connected to other blow molds by scrap wood and screws. I also use wire and old rail road spikes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9143_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	147260
              Last edited by pine; 10-17-2012, 10:13 PM.
              There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Christmas in da B that's a great idea and Putrid I am a fan of your idea too. I'm trying to avoid holes in the blow molds though.

thanks everyone for your compliments too!!!

Comment

Great Video Gris!!!!! I sure had fun watching it, and I will show it to my friends as well. Thank you so much for sharing that!

I usually weigh my blow molds down with rocks in zip lock bags, but I only have Santa and Mrs.

I also have two Uncle Sams that I wire through the light hole in the back of them to my front "porch". I don't light them, so this works pretty well for me.

Again, Great video! And Great Setup!
                  World's Best Manager

Comment

I just put a pipe in the ground behind the mold and wire the mold to the pipe. Fast and easy.

Here's a cheap anti theft
                    http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=28728
                    Last edited by DanoNJ; 10-18-2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Dano I usually do that with wood stakes but was curious if the hitch posts would work. I think downside is you could see the hitch posts between molds. I guess that is where the saying came from don't fix it if it is not broken lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Griswold View Post
                        Christmas in da B that's a great idea and Putrid I am a fan of your idea too. I'm trying to avoid holes in the blow molds though.

thanks everyone for your compliments too!!!

That's was my feelings about it when I started. I'd fill zip bags full of wet clay to weigh each one down. Anywhere from 30 to 50 lbs each. Had big problems with the bags opening or reforming inside the blow molds. Have to leave some of the figures in the house till the bags unfroze so I could get the out. And then there's the large excavation site in the back yard. LOL The four or five holes in the bottom of each mold was a better way to go. Made both set up and take down much smoother.
                        There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

I drive long wood dowels into the ground and slide the blowmolds over the top. I make sure that the dowel reaches to almost the top of the mold and that holds it great against the wind. I've never (knock on wood!) had a problem with theft in my 'hood, but that's still something to consider.
                          Glitter is like the herpes of all holidays - once you have it, you can't get rid of it!!!

Lisa

Comment

i usally take shoe string to sucure my halloween blowmolds and i have found out that dollar tree pad locks and bike chain locks work good

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 963 users online. 4 members and 959 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                            X