Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds right up my alley mariem, I love sparkly!!!! I put up my big tree and a smaller tree with mostly snowmen on it, the weekend after thanksgiving, the rest of what I was setting up went up this Friday, of course the outdoor was up before Thanksgiving, but turned it on right after.
    (my sons name is Daniel too!)
    my pinterest page: pinterest.com/betheneg

Comment

• Originally posted by bethene View Post
      Sounds right up my alley mariem, I love sparkly!!!! I put up my big tree and a smaller tree with mostly snowmen on it, the weekend after thanksgiving, the rest of what I was setting up went up this Friday, of course the outdoor was up before Thanksgiving, but turned it on right after.
      (my sons name is Daniel too!)
      Have you got pictures of your trees? I love looking at other peoples decorations.

How old is your son?

Marie
      https://www.pinterest.com/weewee50/

Comment

• Attached is the link to my Pinterest page to see my tree. I took a bunch of pictures of my tree but please don't feel like you have to look at them all. I am trying out the camera on my new phone.

Marie
        Explore Marie Marshall's board "Christmas Tree 2017" on Pinterest.

Comment

• Boy am I glad to see that I'm not the only one who has not done as much as I usually do. Just been one of those years. I think it's been that way for a lot of people because I know of many people who have not decorated or have barely decorated.

Hopefully next year will be a better one.
          Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

• I only put up a tree in my living room after my holiday got cancelled. I am lucky to have that much. No kitchen tree, no village...nada. I have been getting migraines and my back was out on the weekend so I haven't been able to set up my village. I was really looking forward to doing it this year but it is a lot of work to pack all the bins of village houses etc up from the basement and with my back the way it has been I just don't have the energy or strength to do it. Hopefully by this weekend I will feel better but it is kinda late to put up the village. I usually leave the village up for about a month (at least) so who knows...if I get a burst of energy it may get up yet...but that is looking more unlikely with each day. Seriously saddened about that. Coming up with new ideas for the village is one of the things I enjoy the most about decorating.

Marie

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	3
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	186861
              Well I went back to work after some on and off again holidays to find out that the Social Committee of the hospital had distributed gingerbread house kits to each department for a competition. I casually wandered around the hospital to scope out the competition and realise that many of the displays were complete. Everybody asks me how our display is coming along since they know I have been on holidays and the other ladies have been busy in the O.R. They are shocked when I tell them we haven't even opened the kit yet. Later that afternoon I went to the Doctors clinic to deliver some patient reports and I see that they have a 6' folding table set up at the back of the office and the girls are proudly showing me the pretzel "fences" drying and Dr Lee (insert Martha Stewart Meme) is helping to build their display stained glass windows and all. Now that isn't fair...it's like having a ringer in a ball game. So I am thinking "Okeedokee ladies...it is on!"

When I got back to the O.R. office I told Janet about my scouting trip to the departments and that was all it took to bring out her competitive streak. She doesn't really bake and doesn't have the patience for crafts but if you can bring out her competitive streak and tell her there is a food related prize involved you have a good partner. She is thin as a rail and an exercise nut and says she has to be because she loves her food.

So the two of us got together later that evening after work at my place to see what we could put together since I am the one that has some craft supplies on hand. Keep in mind neither of us has ever put together a gingerbread house. I bought a kit for my son when he was about 7 years old and he put it together himself while I drank tea, ate desserts, and watched. He is going to be 35 in January so it has been quite a while since then. I do some crafts and baking every year (except this year since I haven't baked a single thing yet) It was now late evening, we live 1 1/2 hrs (at least) from the nearest town with anything that passes for craft supplies so we have to keep our ideas realistic while keeping in mind the supplies we have. We haven't even opened the box yet to see what is included in the kit so we open a couple bottles of Sleeman's Honey Brown (beer) and start sorting through craft supplies to see what we have and then we start rethinking what we are going to do. We don't have a lot of time, or patience, at this point but after a brew and a couple of laughs we get started. There is some serious desire to win this competition since we are both uber competitive (who knew) and first prize is a catered lunch for the department that wins. Second and third prizes are gift certificates to the local bakery. Any kind of food prizes bring added competition at the hospital. Well we came up with a pretty good display on pretty short notice and we tied the Clinic staff for first prize. Woohoo!! We get our catered lunch with them after the new year.

Because we didn't have a lot of time the fondant on our roof and some of the Royal icing was still "tacky" the next morning. Usually Royal icing dries like cement but the package that was in the kit was so soft it was still like buttercream in some places the next morning while other parts were rock hard. Some green stuff dripped off the fondant on the roof and plopped onto the candies at the base of the display and overnight the fancy piped icing along the roof line that we thought was dry started drooping down the walls. OMG what an unwelcome surprise two hours before the display has to be presented. Even though we worked on the display until 11 pm we still hadn't finished it so it was disheartening to see the damage at 9am the next morning when Janet brought it to the office so we could finish the display. Oh well...it wasn't the prettiest house by any stretch of the imagination but set in the display it was good enough to tie for first place so we had a good laugh about our ugly duckling of a house.

I think what set it over the top was the fact that we made the roof hinged so that you could see inside and we had our nurse manager Kia prepping a quickly thrown together Elf on the Shelf for a colonoscopy. You couldn't see inside any of the other houses and our display was based on our department. We set the display up to represent the hospital grounds and added a gingerbread building (a previously recycled birdhouse) to represent the church beside the hospital. We added an old truck that is parked where it shouldn't be because we have a doctor who always parks where he isn't supposed too. He laughed out loud when he saw it because he knew right away what it was. The final piece was a Santa and reindeer flying overhead. We used the Santa that is usually flying over my Christmas village but since it hasn't been put up yet this year we "borrowed" some pieces. We were allowed to use anything we wanted to create our gingerbread displays. The only rule was we couldn't add any more baked gingerbread.

I have added some pictures. Our gingerbread house wasn't pretty but it was fun to do. I really wish I had the Hallmark ornament of the Santa that we used to call proctologist Santa on another Christmas forum because the Santa looks like he is putting on exam gloves. The last picture is the display from the Doctors clinic that tied with us for first place.

Sorry for the long post.

Marie
              Last edited by mariem; 12-21-2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Do the pictures seem small to anyone else? For some reason it is not allowing me to adjust the size like it usually does.

Marie

Comment

• Yes they're definitely small.
                  Nutcracker fetishist.
                  Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• Love the story, tho Mariem! Way to go on first place!
                    Glitter is like the herpes of all holidays - once you have it, you can't get rid of it!!!

Lisa

Comment

• Originally posted by lisa48317 View Post
                      Love the story, tho Mariem! Way to go on first place!
                      Thanks Lisa

Comment

• I tried to enlarge pictures but it isn't allowing me to edit the pictures.
                        Last edited by mariem; 12-21-2017, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Great job Mariem, and hope you are feeling better!

We were busy with helping a friend pack the first of the month among other obligations and planned to put the tree up last Saturday. Little one started getting sick on Friday, the next day I got it and my husband followed a few days later. We had two community dinners over the weekend and missed both of them, though I'm taking the dishes I had planned to take to our family Christmas dinner. Today is the first day I've actually felt like doing anything and thought about putting the tree up. Problem is that it's in the garage and I can't get it down by myself and hubby is still fevered and sleeping quite a bit.

So, the big tree is not going up this year. Instead the prelit tree I bought a few weeks ago is going up (well actually I never took it down after I got the lights working). The only thing is that the tree is black w/clear and purple lights. Since I've been putting purple garland on the big tree for the last few years, I think I can make it look pretty Christmassy at the last minute. Thankfully I store all of the decorations in the house, so think I can pull it off in an afternoon. Will post some pictures of how it turns out.

Comment

• Lizzy sorry to here your family has been ill. I admire your ability to put your elf hat on and problem solve the Christmas decoration situation. I am sure your tree will be lovely and I am looking forward to the pictures. I hope your husband feels better soon.

Marie

Comment

• Thank you Marie. I think we are all on the mend now. Did our Christmas shopping today and making a place for the tree in the morning. Thought it would be magical for my daughter to wake up to a tree and presents in her room on Christmas morning.

Comment

• The True Value hardware store near me is still selling some (real) Christmas trees out in front of the store.
                                Nutcracker fetishist.
                                Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1070 users online. 4 members and 1066 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                                X