Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So here it is 2 days after Thanksgiving and I don't have my tree up yet, in fact I've barely even thought about it. By now I have always had the tree up. Been sick all month and haven't felt like doing much of anything. Plus I plan on getting new carpet as soon as I can which would disrupt whatever I do Christmas-wise so I'm not even sure it would be worth it! However I don't know if I'll end up getting it (the new carpet) done before the end of the year or not. Am first waiting to get the results of a home equity loan application, so I don't know how long it would take. Plus there are other complications regarding the basement, which I'm also getting new tile for. Basically everything is a mess for me right now, lol!
    Nutcracker fetishist.
    Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• I'm thinking I might not get the new carpet until after the New Year so I put up the tree after I got back from work today. However I just put the lights on, I'll add some decorations later. Probably will only do a minimalist decorating job this year.
      Nutcracker fetishist.
      Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• Iím behind on decorating too PC. We have the tree up, but only lights and a few ornaments. My village display is up, with the buildings; but, I havenít put the lights in the buildings, nor have i added any people or trees. I havenít had the energy to finish decorating.

Hope youíre feeling better PC.

Comment

• I haven`t done a single thing yet. I don`t usually decorate until Dec 1st anyway. I flew to Vancouver BC a few days ago for training and I fly home tomorrow.

Marie
          https://www.pinterest.com/weewee50/

Comment

• Heeelllooooooo.....Heeelllooooooo.....Heeelllooooo oo.....Is that an echo?

*waves* Just stopped in to say hi. Everyone must be busy decorating. I probably should start too. I haven't done a thing yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by mariem View Post
              Heeelllooooooo.....Heeelllooooooo.....Heeelllooooo oo.....Is that an echo?

*waves* Just stopped in to say hi. Everyone must be busy decorating. I probably should start too. I haven't done a thing yet.
              I was starting to think I was the only one left.

Comment

• Hey peeps! Happy 2017 Christmas Forum!
                I swear, I went through this entire strand. Each light I pulled out and put back in. Oh, I didn't check the fuse! My thumb is so sore, will I learn for next time?

Comment

• Finally put some ornaments on my tree. Had only been lights. Only took about 10 minutes to put them on, and only put on some white ones. Really minimalist stuff this year.
                  Nutcracker fetishist.
                  Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• I just got home from Vancouver BC on Friday. I was there for several days doing some training for work. I am flying out again this afternoon (hopefully) to go back to Vancouver but this time it is for a week of holidays with my family. My flight was cancelled this morning because the plane couldn't land safely.
                    It is very frustrating trying to fly anywhere in the winter months. There are only three flights a day out of the airport and about 80% of the time they are lucky to have one flight a day leave Smithers. When I was going for training last week I missed the first day of training because the plane couldn't land to pick us up so we couldn't get out of here. One of the other passengers is a friend of mine who was going for a conference and it was her third day trying to get out of Smithers. We finally got out on the same plane. Very frustrating as we have to drive an hour to an hour and a half through the mountains, fog, and along the rivers on icy roads while keeping an eye out for moose and other wildlife. So not a fun way to spend our time.

My sister is taking me to Potters (greenhouses), apparently they turn their greenhouses into a wonderland of Christmas decorations. I can't wait. I had never heard of this place before and then I found out that two of my sisters have been going to this place for years. I am the Christmas person in this family so I wonder how it is that I am just hearing about this place now. I need to have a chat with my two sisters; if I had a barn and a switch... just saying.

My youngest sister is turning into a Christmas junkie now too. She has 5 (?) full sized trees that she puts up at her house plus some smaller decorations. She buys her trees in all different colors, green, red, black etc. I am a traditional old gal and I like a green tree for my main tree and maybe a white one for my foodie tree. Colored trees always look so nice when people decorate them but I am stubbornly old fashioned.

Comment

• I feel so guilty that I have NOTHING inside my house right now - after being at both my sister's houses last weekend and their houses / trees look straight out of a magazine . I rearranged the living room and the girl & I put the tree up, but it's still naked (new cat this year, so letting them get used to it before decorating). I'll get out the lights & garland tonight. I have tomorrow off work, so the nutcrackers will start to arrive to the party!

I have a funny story about my tree! Last year was the first time in my cat owning life that my tree got knocked over. I'm thinking 20+ year old tree / cracked leg in addition to 9 lb cat contributed to this occasion, but anyhow. We looked for a new tree after Christmas last year and wanted a smallish one since we have a really small house. And we found one. For $10.

That right there should have been a hint as to how this tree would look! Our old one had the individual branches that you had to hook in the proper row, etc. Sort of an odd grayish green color, but nice size & shape. We'd leave a couple branches off the lower back so we could push it in closer to the wall. We always made it a family evening, putting it together & decorating. This one is 3 sections, stick them together & the branches fall into place. Less than a minute. The picture shows a perfect triangle shaped tree, but in reality it resembles something that came from the same lot as Charlie Browns! My 5'3" daughter stood next to it and announced there was "no way in H*LL it was 6 feet tall!" because it was about the same height as her. There was a single twig that had to be straightened to reach *almost* 6 feet tall. So needless to say - we've all had a good laugh about it! Putting lights & garland on will be easy - since I can almost reach around it at its widest point. I'll have to be really selective on the ornaments because they won't all fit! My porcelain angel will surely make it top-heavy. The hubby & I are OK with our pitiful little tree, but my daughter sat on the couch and looked at it last night and told me that tree makes her want to hate Christmas! Heehee! Well, she's 20 - she can buy her own darn tree!

On the plus side....the outside is decorated. I'm sure people who come by my house at Halloween wonder if I decorate to the same extent for Christmas....and are disappointed to find out that I don't! But I'm happy with what I have, so NEENER!
                      Glitter is like the herpes of all holidays - once you have it, you can't get rid of it!!!

Lisa

Comment

• Lisa I am glad you got your "pitiful" tree up. I am hoping to get mine up today.

I just got off the phone with AirMiles because I had to cancel my holiday with my family. I was supposed to fly to Vancouver yesterday but no flights have been able to get out for a couple of days and the airline rebooked me for Friday. My holiday would be half over before I even get off the ground, if I even get off the ground, and I am worried that I wouldn't be able to get home on the 13th. I absolutely need to be home then because I have an important meeting at work on the 14th and I am organizing our union Christmas party on the 15th so I don't want to be stuck at the Vancouver airport when I am supposed to be home getting things done.

The only upside to cancelling the trip is not having to travel on the roads back and forth to the airport today and I can stay home and rest and try to get over this cold. I am going to try to decorate my tree today. I usually have it up by Dec 1st but it has been so crazy around here for the last month or so and the only thing Christmassy is the wreath I hung on the front door yesterday.

Marie

Comment

• Couldn't you *drive* to Vancouver, or is that risky this time of year?
                          Nutcracker fetishist.
                          Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Mcabee View Post

I was starting to think I was the only one left.
                            I think everyone else is busy decorating. At least I hope that is why it is so quiet here.

Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by Perpetual_Christmas View Post
                              Couldn't you *drive* to Vancouver, or is that risky this time of year?
                              It is way to risky at this time of year. The roads are sometimes closed in parts due to avalanche warnings etc. There are parts of the trip, like around the Pine Pass, that we don't like to drive through in the summer much less the winter. It is about a 14 1/2 to 15 hour drive in the summer months and about 17-18 hrs during the winter (if I am lucky). I would have to stay somewhere for the night as it is unlikely I could make it through without having to stop for the night. Due to health reasons I can no longer drive long distances anymore which is why I try to fly. Once I made up my mind to stay home I was able to get some sleep and I feel better today. I haven't been able to sleep because every time I lay down I get so stuffed up. I actually felt better today, except the headache, and went to Terrace today. My son Daniel got me a Samsung 8S+. My old phone hasn't been working very well lately, it is so old it is no longer on the website of the phone company. I am so happy with my new phone. I just have to learn how to use it now. I will wait until I have had a good nights sleep tonight and then tomorrow and I will sit with a cup of coffee and try all the instruction videos on the phone. I am happy about the camera on the phone too. The camera I had on my old phone was so bad it left a purple hue around the pictures. Thank goodness for good phones.

Marie
                              Last edited by mariem; 12-10-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• I finally got my tree decorated. I used white, silver, and gold ornaments with a few soft blue colored ornaments sprinkled through the tree and a bunch of "bling" ornaments for sparkle. It turned out pretty though...at least I think it is although it probably isn't for everyone. I didn't want to use my fancier...insert pricier $$$...ornaments on the tree because of our dog Harley. These ornaments are inexpensive and some of them are shatterproof to hopefully withstand our Newfoundland/Labrador dog. It is his second Christmas and he still likes to chew on things.

I have never had such a sparkly tree before. I am working on a rustic tree and maybe a cardinal tree for next year.

Marie

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2169 users online. 8 members and 2161 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                                X