Nativity Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nativity Changes

Every once in a while, I'll see a change made to the standard Nativity Scene in people's displays. Usually the addition of Santa bringing a gift, or a humorous replacement of the Three Wise Men (Three Stooges, etc.).

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about this. Have you ever done something to spice up the Nativity? Do you leave that scene alone completely due to possible differing religious beliefs in the neighborhood? Etc.

I am not overly religious but I do like to have a nativity. I don't put it out every year anymore though. I must still have some Catholic guilt because I still prefer my nativity set up the traditional way but I do like some of the alterations done to other people's nativities when they are done well, some are very elaborate and some very simple but both can be beautiful. Everyone has their own style and even that changes depending what we/they are going through during the season. If you want a cheerful nativity, why not, it was a celebration after all. Decorating should be whatever you want it to be, or the feeling you are going for. We don't judge here.

What do you do with your nativity? Maybe we can "borrow" some fun ideas from you.

Marie
    https://www.pinterest.com/weewee50/

Comment

I have a small white porcelain Nativity that I bought right after high school when I joined the Navy. It gets displayed on a red scarf made out of a fire party shirt that I wore on my first ship. Then I have a white porcelain Santa and reindeer that I'll put on the same shelf, even tho they clearly don't go with the set, since they're much larger. But I like them all together. Sometimes I add a white feather tree to the shelf, too It looks really nice, because I display it on a shelf that's on a wall painted dark blue. Normally I like goofy, unexpected things, but I don't mess with my Nativity.

I also have a different set (the crazy cat lady that I am) where all the characters are cats and baby Jesus is a kitten.
      Glitter is like the herpes of all holidays - once you have it, you can't get rid of it!!!

Lisa

Comment

My family is mixed religiously so many times I'll stick to one color-changing angel in the display. This year though Kidrobot just released a Jesus action figure key chain that I think would look great in a display since it's small enough to be the baby version but looks like adult Jesus. Some other ideas of mine:

The Guys from Workaholics as the Wise Men in a Half Christmas display

The Buddy Christ from Dogma and Santa

Comment

I agree with Marie.

We have a yard display nativity scene. Itís an all white, teak display.

Comment

I have two nativity scenes in my display. One is the traditional and the other is with all the Charlie Brown characters. One thing I am finding is that the youngsters now days really don't know about Charlie Brown and Snoopy. They have completely different cartoon characters.

Comment

That's just sad that the kids today don't know about Charlie Brown. Using them for a nativity display is a great idea, Andy.

Comment

I love that you have a Charlie Brown nativity scene too Andy! Did you make it yourself out of wood? I bet itís nice. Youíre very talented.

Comment

We made it about 20 years ago. My daughter drew it on plywood, I cut it out and we both worked on painting it.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4630 02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	186284

Comment

Awesome! I love it Andy!

Comment

Originally posted by MerryMunchkins View Post
                      I agree with Marie.

We have a yard display nativity scene. Itís an all white, teak display.
                      White teak sounds nice. Do you have a picture?

Marie

Comment

Originally posted by andy anderson View Post
                        We made it about 20 years ago. My daughter drew it on plywood, I cut it out and we both worked on painting it.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4630 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	408.3 KB ID:	186284
                        I always enjoy your outdoor nativity. The CB characters are so cute.

To me it isn't Christmas without a Die Hard movie, CB special and Grinch movie.

Marie

Comment

Originally posted by mariem View Post

White teak sounds nice. Do you have a picture?

Marie
                          I will take a picture of it and post it, when I set it up in 2 weeks.

Comment

I agree that Christmas is about Charlie Brown & Grinch. Add to that list Scrooge. I also have another Charlie Brown scene that I put out. It was rather disappointing when I was making this one that my two grandsons had not a clue about it.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4629 02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	186346

Originally posted by mariem View Post

I always enjoy your outdoor nativity. The CB characters are so cute.

To me it isn't Christmas without a Die Hard movie, CB special and Grinch movie.

Marie

Comment

I loved Charlie Brown specials at Christmas. You are right Scrooge was another favorite along with Miracle on 34th Street. I never missed those shows growing up.

Marie

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2173 users online. 10 members and 2163 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
                              X