CHRISTMAS TREES FROM OREGON

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHRISTMAS TREES FROM OREGON

So starting off the new year with a new title. Instead of always putting a year at the end of the title I've decided to just make it an ongoing post. I'm hoping that I can get either jimmy or JW to maybe move my post from previous years onto this one, (still need to talk to them about it) so we'll see. Anyway. . .I just thought it would make for a better posting if they are all together and make it easier for everyone when they read it, and not have to go all over the place to find it.

So here we go. . .

Did you know that a Douglas-Fir tree is not a true fir? Thus the hyphenation. The common name honors the Scottish botanist and collector "David Douglas" who was the first to report the nature and potential of the species. As I stated before the Douglas-Fir is not a true fir, meaning that it's not part of the genius "Abies" family. This is why it commonly referred to as a Douglas-Fir. But it is considered to be in the family of Pine trees. Around here, we just call it a "Doug-Fir" and everyone knows what your talking about, and can also be called a "Douglas-Pine".

The Douglas-Fir makes up over half of the Christmas trees sold here in the Pacific Northwest, along with "True Firs" like the Nobel, Grands, and etc. They grow mostly in the West Coast regions of the United States from Southern British Columbia, down to the Mid to Central parts of California. There is another species that grows in the Rocky Mountain regions, known as (what else) The Rocky Mountain Douglas-Fir.

It is the second tallest conifer in the world to grow, next to the coastal redwoods. The tallest being in Coos County, Oregon at a height of 327.3 feet tall. They have an average life span of about 500 years, although there are some old growth here that have been around for almost 1000 years. I guess that's one of the advantages of living here in Oregon, especially when we go camping in the summer we get that pine tree smell all the time!

So this is a small sampling of what to expect from me on information on Christmas trees from Oregon with this new post. As always. . .I will let you know when the first part of harvest for the year begins and will let you know about pricing of trees from season to season. Also, if there are any new developments throughout the year.

Thanks for reading and for helping to "Keep Oregon Green" when you purchase a tree for your home!
    Chances are it came from a Christmas tree farm right here where I live!

Last edited by Falasben; 02-16-2017, 03:42 PM.
    "Remember, if Christmas isnít found in your heart, you wonít find it under a tree.Ē ~ Charlotte Carpenter.

we rotate every year, one year real, one year artificial. 2017 season will be a real tree (unless wife over rides my vote) The smell and overall feel of a live tree is special on its own. We reuse our live trees in a local fishing lake as fish beds, as does most of the city limits. The city offers free pick up for the purpose of reusing as fish beds.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Mcabee View Post
      we rotate every year, one year real, one year artificial. 2017 season will be a real tree (unless wife over rides my vote) The smell and overall feel of a live tree is special on its own. We reuse our live trees in a local fishing lake as fish beds, as does most of the city limits. The city offers free pick up for the purpose of reusing as fish beds.
      What a great Idea! The majority of trees around here gets ground up into compost, unless it's a actual live tree that people will replant in their yard or elsewhere. No tree goes into a landfill or such. They all get recycled into something to be used in peoples gardens and the like.

I hope you get your real tree this year! Tell you wife you really miss the scent and would like to have that evergreen smell in your home.....that should do the trick!
      "Remember, if Christmas isnít found in your heart, you wonít find it under a tree.Ē ~ Charlotte Carpenter.

Comment

Hard to believe that we are now basically 6 months now from celebrating the Christmas holiday season! Seems like we were all filing our taxes not that long ago. Well starting in July, I will be posting news about this years crop and what we can expect for this coming Christmas on trees.

So talk to you soon!

Comment

Falasben - I was in your state this past weekend. It was in the 40s...in June! Is that normal for you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by MerryMunchkins View Post
            Falasben - I was in your state this past weekend. It was in the 40s...in June! Is that normal for you guys?
            Temps in June normally hover around the 50's to 60's at this time of the year. It does rain from time to time but mostly showers off and on during the week. Usually the sun breaks out in late afternoon around here.

We get rainfall year round here in the state. We usually say summer begins the day after July 4th. Being only an hour or so to the Pacific Ocean, we constantly get what in known here as the Pacific On-Shore flow. But even today weather people are saying we are getting a storm front moving in for tomorrow, with wind gust up to 35 mph here in the Willamette Valley.

After this Friday, temps will start getting back up into the mid 70's and lower 80's for some days. June is normally a showery month for Oregon, then in July the weather changes and then it gets warmer. That's one of the reasons it stays so green here and the climate is good for growing Christmas trees.

I hope you liked you stay here while you visited our state. Where were you staying? I hope you got to see some of the things that makes our state so interesting for visitors.
            Last edited by Falasben; 06-14-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Wow, now I know to leave my shorts at home, when I visit the Pacific Northwest before July.

I was in Portland, OR. It was a quick visit. It was cold and rainy the entire time and I didn't bring warm clothes, so I didn't see much. When I was there before, we spent some time downtown trying out the various food trucks. That's what the hotel concierge recommended. Are you close to Portland?

Interesting info about Douglas-firs. That was my favorite real tree to buy. We have an artificial tree now. However, when I was buying real trees, Douglass-fir was my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryMunchkins View Post
                Wow, now I know to leave my shorts at home, when I visit the Pacific Northwest before July.

I was in Portland, OR. It was a quick visit. It was cold and rainy the entire time and I didn't bring warm clothes, so I didn't see much. When I was there before, we spent some time downtown trying out the various food trucks. That's what the hotel concierge recommended. Are you close to Portland?

Interesting info about Douglas-firs. That was my favorite real tree to buy. We have an artificial tree now. However, when I was buying real trees, Douglass-fir was my favorite.
                Well I live in Salem, the state capitol, which is about a 45 to 60 minute drive south from Portland coming down on Interstate 5 freeway. Depending on where in Portland you would be coming from, it could take a little longer.

Food trucks are a big thing in Portland as well as all over the state. The food trucks in the Portland area have even made it on TV, like Food Networks Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, as well as other food channels. A couple of months before you came to Oregon, there had been several break-ins at some of the trucks. Basically destroying some and creating a lot of damage.

Funny thing is now that the weather is going to start getting warmer now, and nicer as of this weekend. Last year, the weather was nice in June, as we were still in somewhat of a seasonal drought here in the state. But not this year, we've set records all over the state for rainfall this year, since last September through May of this year.

Anyway next time your out and if you have the time, take a day and head to the Oregon Coast. I think you will like it and lots of places to see and fun things to do. Plus, you can go on the beach and not have to worry about crowded beaches! Close to 700 miles of beaches open to the public year round, and you don't have to worry about running into any homes on the beach or private property!

Comment

Originally posted by Falasben View Post

Well I live in Salem, the state capitol, which is about a 45 to 60 minute drive south from Portland coming down on Interstate 5 freeway. Depending on where in Portland you would be coming from, it could take a little longer.

Food trucks are a big thing in Portland as well as all over the state. The food trucks in the Portland area have even made it on TV, like Food Networks Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, as well as other food channels. A couple of months before you came to Oregon, there had been several break-ins at some of the trucks. Basically destroying some and creating a lot of damage.

Funny thing is now that the weather is going to start getting warmer now, and nicer as of this weekend. Last year, the weather was nice in June, as we were still in somewhat of a seasonal drought here in the state. But not this year, we've set records all over the state for rainfall this year, since last September through May of this year.

Anyway next time your out and if you have the time, take a day and head to the Oregon Coast. I think you will like it and lots of places to see and fun things to do. Plus, you can go on the beach and not have to worry about crowded beaches! Close to 700 miles of beaches open to the public year round, and you don't have to worry about running into any homes on the beach or private property!
                  Sounds interesting, thx. Will do.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1265 users online. 7 members and 1258 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
                  X