Need New Ideas For Forum Member Activities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need New Ideas For Forum Member Activities

I recently got involved in a post about a secret stocking exchange (really hoping the author of the thread goes through with it) and it has me thinking, what are some christmas fan club activities (besides that one) can we get going? I would like to see several "contests"/ drawings/ trivia/ etc activities we can do on here to keep a little bit of buzz going on. Lets hear some suggestions and throw a few things against the wall and see what sticks....Don

We currently run a prop building contest, a card exchange, gift exchange, and an ornament exchange. We would love to add more events to our forum activities. If we do a stocking exchange it would be fun to do it during a non-holiday part of the year rather than doing it at the same time as the card exchange and the ornament exchange.

We use to have fun with the prop contest. The past few years we have had little to no participation.
    Jimmy recently ran a contest to encourage tutorials. Only a few participated.

We would love to hear ideas from the members of activities they would participate in. It would be great to have things to look forward to all year. I hope you don't mind but I am going to change the title of your thread so everyone knows what it is actually about and will draw more attention. Thanks for trying to boost the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Whisper View Post
      We currently run a prop building contest, a card exchange, gift exchange, and an ornament exchange. We would love to add more events to our forum activities. If we do a stocking exchange it would be fun to do it during a non-holiday part of the year rather than doing it at the same time as the card exchange and the ornament exchange.

We use to have fun with the prop contest. The past few years we have had little to no participation.
      Jimmy recently ran a contest to encourage tutorials. Only a few participated.

We would love to hear ideas from the members of activities they would participate in. It would be great to have things to look forward to all year. I hope you don't mind but I am going to change the title of your thread so everyone knows what it is actually about and will draw more attention. Thanks for trying to boost the forum.
      I am gonna have to educate myself on the activities you have mentioned in the above post. I am beyond excite to get involved with a secret stocking or ornament exchange. I mentioned to Saki girl in a previous post that I had some ideas to make the exchange extra special. I also hoped that she would head it up and ideas for the gift would come from researching the posts of the name drawn. Names would be drawn/issued oct 1st and as the stocking reaches its destination the person receiving it would post details and pics....
      The ornament exchange is right up my alley, I travel alot for work and can pick up various ornaments from the places I visit so thats a shoe in (count me in on that too)
      Im not too big into building props, unless you count the plywood drawings I do or the various mangers I build for neighbors
      I was thinking on a Christmas song contest, where everybody enters the name of a weird or rare christmas song and whoever has the strangest or rarest wins (bragging rights only) A judge would be nominated to oversee the contest (still working on the rules lol)
      Basically Im game for any type of Christmas/holiday related contest, I check here everyday and can play along....Let me know and lets get the same buzz that we have in november and december happing all year long...Don

Comment

How about a nutcracker collection contest?
        Nutcracker fetishist.
        Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Originally posted by Perpetual_Christmas View Post
          How about a nutcracker collection contest?
          I have the sneaking feeling that you may have an edge on your competition lol.....but I never back down from a challenge, do I have to own the collection? Can my collection be of photographs of nutcrackers that I have "collected" on my various ventures? Lol...Just kidding........or am I?

Comment

It would have to be your own collection!

Showing somebody else's collection would be cheating.
            Nutcracker fetishist.
            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

It would have to be your own collection!

Showing somebody else's collection would be cheating.
              Rats!!! Ok well I guess Im beat in this area, I have never collected nutcrackers, but Im sure someone on here does. We just need to find them and have everyone compare their collections. Honestly I have seen some really nice nutcrackers at local goodwill stores, etc and never really had an interest in them. Im more of the ornament kinda person my favorites are the ones dated,

Comment

A lot of people on here collect nutcrackers. They have them showcased but I cannot remember if we have them on one thread as a group.

your idea for the stocking exchange sounds like the same way we run the gift exchange and ornament exchange. Names are drawn, and when the recipient gets their package they post pics of their treasures.

As for the prop challenge...It doesn't have to be an actual "prop". Any type of Christmas decor that you have created yourself during the contest timeline works. It doesn't have to be made for yourself. If you made something for your neighbor during the contest period that would count. You can research previous prop challenges from 2014 and back. Also Secret Santa Gift Exchanges, and Secret Ornament Exchange from 2016 and back.

We do like to keep the contests designed so the members are the ones voting. We usually designate one person to head it up to eliminate a lot of confusion and that person (or a moderator) usually has the last word on how it will work, with moderator/admin approval.

I am glad you are keeping this thread active. Gotta keep us on our toes and thinking all the time. I love your enthusiasm (did I mention that?) and I hope it will be contagious.

I like the idea of having some of our contests simply for bragging rights.

Comment

the stocking exchange was the brain child of another member, I just hijacked their post lol. I do seem to have an agenda for keeping a steady buzz around here in the off season. I would love to have a few contests to tide us over during the summer months.

Comment

• Just Whisper
                    Just Whisper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, I knew Saki originated the idea.

After doing some thinking I have some ideas for future contests that I hope you will think are fun. I will present each idea with a VERY brief concept explanation. I don't really want to get bogged down at this time discussing rules, technicalities, etc. The ideas are simply for consideration and discussion of whether or not we think the idea has merit. Prizes will also not be discussed at this time.

I have a wide range of ideas so that hopefully there will be something of interest to everyone. After all, we are not all good at the same things. After we decide if we like some or all of the ideas I will start a more detailed discussion of the individual contests, such as how we want it to run, when, how long, judging, prizes, and so on. Ok, so here I go.

Idea #1. Ugly Sweater Contest. Contestants post photos of themselves or their family in ugly Christmas sweaters. Forum votes on ugliest one.

Idea #2. Most Awkward Family Christmas Photo. Same as above.

Idea #3. Forum Treasure Hunt. This will take a lot of work and planning to get it to work the way I have in mind. Short version...You will be given a set of clues to get you started. Each clue will lead you to a different thread, or some part of the forum for the next clue, and possibly a task to perform. I have several different versions of this in mind so I will have to work out which is most feasible for me and fun for you. But I really love this idea.

Idea #4. Christmas Card Design. Simple enough. Create a Christmas card from scratch. Take pics. Post them.

Idea #5. Video Contest. Each contestant will create a Christmas video of maybe 3 min. It can be live action, any form of animation, puppets, etc. Post it.

Idea #6. Christmas Diorama. Build a holiday related diorama. Photograph it, Post it.

Idea #7. Good Samaritan. Here is a tough one, but community oriented. Over a course of several months each person performs as many acts of kindness and giving as they can or want to. Examples: Take your elderly neighbor for groceries, work in the soup kitchen, give blood, visit a nursing home, volunteer at the animal shelter. You get the idea. Lots of details will need to be discussed and worked out for this one.

Idea #8. Christmas Story. Write an original Christmas story of a predetermined length.

Idea #9. Christmas Song. Choose a Christmas song. Using a theme (for example: Your favorite superhero), re-write the lyrics so it is now relating to the theme.

Idea #10. Art Contest. Use your favorite medium (chalk, paint, ink, etc) to create an original piece of holiday artwork.
                  Last edited by Just Whisper; 02-18-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I actually like the Christmas story idea. Waaaaay back in college I wrote a story (which I think I never quite finished) based on a dream I had. It was called "The Christmas Penny." I hope I still have it!
                    Nutcracker fetishist.
                    Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Im in on any of the ideas, I will however exclude myself from #7, Looking after my senior neighbors is a everyday thing for me and the family, grocery store, cleaning yards, pharmacy runs, etc. Our small neighborhood is very close knit and I was elected community mayor, gopher, handyman, and sometimes referee. lol

Comment

• Just Whisper
                        Just Whisper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Don, Your neighbors are fortunate to have a family like yours. That is great that you help them, and also that your neighborhood is close knit. Maybe we will just give you the award and forget the contest.

PC, sounds like a cute story judging by the name. Of course, for the contest it will have to be a story written just for the contest. Still, it would be fun for you to dig out the Christmas Penny and share it, if it is done.

Comment

I actually like the Christmas story idea. Waaaaay back in college I wrote a story (which I think I never quite finished) based on a dream I had. It was called "The Christmas Penny." I hope I still have it!
                        I would love to read it as well, Although I am very willing to accept new age Christmas decorations and traditions, I am very fond of "classic" or anything that has a Biblical, or old time feel to it. And a good Christmas story is the best reading.
                        As far as the "award" for helping my neighbors, Its my pleasure and I honestly enjoy it. I help decorate their yards at Christmas and sometimes they get feisty if they think one of the others is trying to show them up. LOL they are a hoot, I just love them all so much, its like they have always been in my life but we only lived here for 3 1/2 years. Sometimes when they get feisty I have to put on the referee shirt and regulate their conduct. They get riled up over anything...decorations, flower beds, and god forbid if one of them gets a new mower....lol

Comment

I like the treasure hunt idea.
                          https://www.pinterest.com/weewee50/

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2130 users online. 10 members and 2120 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
                          X