Seasonal enjoyments (food and drink)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasonal enjoyments (food and drink)

What are some food or drink items you only enjoy around this time of year?
    The only time I can get my hands on peppermint kisses is now. I tend to over do it and buy a HUGE bag and just enjoy them every day throughout December.
    A drink I usually enjoy, but have not seen yet (which makes me think they didn't sell any this year) was/is Vanilla Coke. That is my favorite drink and I am bummed I haven't been able to find it.

I love eggnog personally. That's my favorite drink during Christmas time. I can't think of a food though that I really look forward to.

Comment

Eggnog, candy canes, cheesecake, mint coffees, and really pretty much any other sweet treat I can only enjoy around this time of year. I am still enjoying most of it!

Comment

I love picking up the holiday flavored coffee creamers and dunking my holiday flavored Oreos in the finished coffee.

Comment

Definitely Eggnog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWIYCGVTNLM or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPWwYzXvG8Q

While wondering through William and Sonoma several years ago, we purchased one of their Hot Chocolate kits which included, 4 cups with spoons, a tin of hot chocolate mix and, a package of very large marshmallow squares. It was a cold September day and the thought of

one of these massive sugary treats submerged in a cup of hot chocolate was more than I could take and although the look of the mallows were intoxicating, I have to say I was a little let down by the taste. I understand that in order to extended the shelve life, a lot of

preservatives are necessary however, I an not one willing to sacrifice taste for convenience. Having studied under some of the finest French chefs (on the internet) I thought, how difficult could it be to make my own after all, I have my own apron so, off to the YouTube I went

in search of a marshmallow recipe. After an extensive search (three video's) I have found, marshmallows are really not difficult to make and, homemade is always better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EixpnQRC2hw Along with the vanilla or in place of it I add rum extract or just straight rum (why the rum is always gone?) which makes them taste amazing!

I like to add these to the hot chocolate recipe located on the label of Hershey's unsweetened cocoa. Ingredients

• 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
          • 4 cups milk (1 qt.)
          • 1/3 cup water hot
          • 1/2 cup sugar
          • Dash salt
          • 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
          Directions

• Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil and stir 2 minutes.
          • Add milk; stir and heat until hot. Do Not Boil. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat with whisk until foamy. About six 6-ounce servings.

I have tweaked the recipe a bit by adding white chocolate chips. It makes the cocoa more intense and for an extra kick, add a touch of cayenne pepper.

Another drink we have around the Holidays is: Lavender white hot chocolate

Makes one large mug of hot chocolate, or two smaller servings.
          • 2 cups of whole milk
          • 1/3 tsp lavender buds (adjust according to preference, lavender is quite fragrant)
          • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Heat milk and lavender buds over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the milk starts to simmer. Remove from heat and leave the lavender for 5 minutes in the warm milk. Strain lavender and but the milk back on medium heat. Add the white chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Whisk milk mixture for 10-20 seconds until frothy.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1259 users online. 7 members and 1252 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
          X