FedEx, UPS to go on holiday hiring spree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FedEx, UPS to go on holiday hiring spree

Hopefully this will be enough to avoid last year's problems.

FedEx, UPS to go on holiday hiring spree
    MEMPHIS, Tenn. — FedEx plans to hire more than 50,000 extra workers to handle another record year for holiday-season package deliveries.

That's up from last year, when FedEx announced it would hire 20,000 seasonal workers.

FedEx announced its hiring plans Wednesday on a conference call with investors.

Rival UPS says it will hire up to 95,000 seasonal workers. Both companies are benefiting from growth in online shopping.
    Nutcracker fetishist.
    Visit my nutcracker blog

Cool. I worked one Christmas season several years ago as an assistant to a UPS driver on her route. It was actually kind of fun. Busy work, but fun.

I also worked for a while as a UPS package sorter. Now that's some hard work!

Comment

The UPS guys are amazing. We ordered from Amazon on Saturday morning, and they delivered it by 7pm that night. Unbelievable.

Comment

Looks like the hiring spree still wasn't good enough.

UPS, FedEx cap holiday deliveries amid late surge
        Nutcracker fetishist.
        Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. After all they can't predict the future and know exactly how many packages will be sent.
          They did a good job with the packages that I ordered. But then again .. I didn't do any last minute shopping either. (at least not on-line ... LOL)
          It must have made for some LONG days for the personnel. (though I bet some great OT $$$$$)
          Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

They're giving a go at it again. I just looked at the number from 2 years ago in the article at the top of the page, and it's the same one for this year: 95,000. Hope that's enough! At least they're raising their pay in some markets this year.

UPS has 95,000 job openings for the holidays
            UPS plans to hire 95,000 workers ahead of the holiday shopping season.

That's an increase from last year, when United Parcel Service (UPS) hired 93,000 for temporary jobs in its busiest season, a spokesman said.

He said the company is seeking package handlers as well as drivers for delivery vehicles, including tractor-trailers. He said the pay range for seasonal hires is $10.10 to $30 an hour.

About 37% of seasonal hires over the last three years have been hired permanently, he said.
            Anybody need some extra money this holiday season to pay the electric bill for their Christmas lights? ;-)
            Last edited by Perpetual_Christmas; 09-15-2016, 09:45 PM.
            Nutcracker fetishist.
            Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

In a couple of years a lot of their jobs will be gone. Amazon one of their biggest customer is starting their own delivery fleet. They have contracted for a number of airplanes this year for their deliveries. Then when they get approval to use drones it will be a several hour delivery time.

Comment

Yeah I've been reading about that and it's an interesting idea. However, given the volume of Amazon's business I suspect it'll take quite a number of years for them to ramp up a respectable service.

That said, when that happens the people who are working for UPS and FedEx now will simply switch jobs to Amazon.
                Nutcracker fetishist.
                Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

Speaking of Amazon ...

Amazon to hire 120,000 temporary workers for holiday season
                  Amazon.com Inc said it would hire more than 120,000 seasonal workers in the United States for the holiday season, 20 percent more than last year, highlighting the growing threat the e-commerce giant poses to traditional retailers.

U.S. retailers such as Macy's Inc, Target Corp and Kohl's Corp have said they plan to hire fewer temporary workers or to keep seasonal employment levels little changed this holiday season.

More than 14,000 seasonal positions were transitioned to regular, full-time roles after the holidays last year, and the company expects to increase that number this year, Amazon said on Thursday.
                  Nutcracker fetishist.
                  Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

I'm sure that they need a lot more people to help them out. I'm sure that the amount of packages that they have to deliver is crazy. I don't blame them for hiring more people. They should because their people need help.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1053 users online. 4 members and 1049 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                    X