website that lists Christmas movies and shows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess the thing about Hallmark Christmas movies is that most of them are done from the same production company. If you've ever watched any of these movies, you will find that they will rehash the same stories over and over again with just different actors and updated sets. They are pretty much fluff movies that are designed to be entertaining and have a positive story and happy endings.

And yes....most of them end with two people kissing, or some of them just end somewhat abruptly! Hey what can you really say about these types of movies, they are made for a paid TV channel, and they are not designed to be their usual top end "Hallmark" movies they come out with only once or twice a year on one of the networks like CBS, ABC, and others.

I mean they pump these things out during the summer months and make a dozen or so or more for the holiday season. The easy part for them is that they just update the stories from past movies and change a few things but pretty much they just kind of stay the same from year to year! They're meant to be a family style movie, nothing more!

Although, once in a while you will come across one of these movies, with veteran actors who can turn something so-so, into a good movie! I can also say that I've seen some major production films for Christmas from movie studios that isn't worth the film, time or money they spent on them. We all have different taste and likes for holiday movies, and yes some are good, and some are bad. You take the bad ones and don't watch anymore, and the good one's you keep watching over and over and over again and pass those on to new generations of people to enjoy!

Comment

Falasben - Love your signature quote!
      The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by Falasben View Post
        I guess the thing about Hallmark Christmas movies is that most of them are done from the same production company. If you've ever watched any of these movies, you will find that they will rehash the same stories over and over again with just different actors and updated sets. They are pretty much fluff movies that are designed to be entertaining and have a positive story and happy endings.

And yes....most of them end with two people kissing, or some of them just end somewhat abruptly! Hey what can you really say about these types of movies, they are made for a paid TV channel, and they are not designed to be their usual top end "Hallmark" movies they come out with only once or twice a year on one of the networks like CBS, ABC, and others.

I mean they pump these things out during the summer months and make a dozen or so or more for the holiday season. The easy part for them is that they just update the stories from past movies and change a few things but pretty much they just kind of stay the same from year to year! They're meant to be a family style movie, nothing more!

Although, once in a while you will come across one of these movies, with veteran actors who can turn something so-so, into a good movie! I can also say that I've seen some major production films for Christmas from movie studios that isn't worth the film, time or money they spent on them. We all have different taste and likes for holiday movies, and yes some are good, and some are bad. You take the bad ones and don't watch anymore, and the good one's you keep watching over and over and over again and pass those on to new generations of people to enjoy!

You say, "they're meant to be a family-style movie," but I guess I see it differently. They may be APPROPRIATE for families, but they're not FOR families. They're for middle-aged women (or in the case of the ABC Family stuff, teenage girls). But I do agree that they more or less just make the same movie over and over, cranking them out like any other mass-produced product.

Clearly these movies don't have a big budget, but with the right vision a great deal of money is not necessary. What's most important is a good script and worthwhile talent both behind, and in front of, the camera. Just last Christmas I watched a Norwegian production called "Journey to the Christmas Star" (I'll link up the trailer below). From what I've read, the budget was only $3.4 million, which I don't imagine is a great deal more than most Hallmark movies and it's a very paltry sum in terms of what Hollywood typically spends on a film. And yet, despite this small budget, I found the movie to be very inventive, very original, very beautiful and very charming.

If some production company in Norway can do something like that on very little money, then I have to think that channels like Hallmark and ABC Family could put forth just a little more effort and and could come up with some films that can appeal to a broader range of audiences and that would have more actual substance and staying power. You know, movies that might actually be respected for their artistry and ability to communicate a good story.

But hey, maybe in a way it's good for me. I've mentioned a few times before on this site that I'm a film student and that it's my aspiration to one day make films. Now I know that all I have to do is come up with some halfway-decent ideas for Christmas stories and I'll be way ahead of 90% of the pack.

Journey to the Christmas Star trailer:

Last edited by SPX; 10-14-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Hallmark Mystery Channel will be premiering Plum Pudding Murder next month. This is based on one of several Christmas books in the Hannah Swensen mystery series, one of the cozy mystery series I enjoy reading.
          Mark
          Check out my Christmas reviews.

Comment

The ABC Family cable channel has posted their schedule for Christmas shows. They'll have some shows on this month and then they have their countdown to Christmas after Thanksgiving.
            Lots of great old ones for the kids.
            http://www.survivingthestores.com/ab...-schedule.html

Also .. the retro stations (ME tv and Antenna tv) will be showing Christmas episodes of old shows.

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2015/1...-schedule.html
            http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2015/1...com-stars.html

Has anyone watched the movie Silent Night on the Hallmark channel? I think the movie is from 2002. Linda Hamilton stars in it. It's a good movie about a Christmas truce that occurred in WWII.
            Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

The cozi tv network (over the air station) also will be showing Christmas episodes of old shows.

Here is the schedule that I found on their website : http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/Holidozi+Schedule.pdf
              I see a show or two that I will probably watch.
              Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

Sorry .. double post.

I should've checked the other websites first.
                I looked at ME tv's website and they have links to their Christmas schedule too : http://www.metv.com/verymerry

I looked at antenna tv's website. Nothing there yet.

Comment

The Hallmark Movie Channel will have a Yule Log going tonight through Thanksgiving Day. FYI.

Also .. The history channel has an interesting show coming up. Christmas Through the Decades. Tonight they are doing the 60's. Next week the 70's. They will also be covering the 80's and 90's.
                  The show will be repeated a few times too.

Can't wait to go down memory lane ...

Comment

Did anyone watch Christmas Through the Decades? If so .. what did you think about it? I taped it and will be watching it .. uhhh ... maybe soon?

The Great Christmas Light Fight starts on ABC next week. The Charlie Brown 50th anniversary show is next week too.

Yippee !!

Comment

I believe Tuesday "Rudolph" is being televised. It may be its 50th as well.
                      The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by Viktorija View Post
                        Did anyone watch Christmas Through the Decades? If so .. what did you think about it? I taped it and will be watching it .. uhhh ... maybe soon?
                        Taped it? Like, literally with a VHS tape?

Comment

Originally posted by SPX View Post
                          Taped it? Like, literally with a VHS tape?
                          LOL .. no. My dvd recorder has a hard drive in it so I "taped" it onto the hard drive. Then I'll either watch it on the machine or burn it to a disk and add it to my collection. (of Christmas shows)

Do they even still make any vcr's?

Comment

This weekend I watched those Christmas Through the Decades shows. I watched the 60's, 70's and 80's. It was really interesting.
                            Did anyone else watch them? If so, what did you think?

Comment

https://youtu.be/DF_UTKlCYj0

Comment

Originally posted by Viktorija View Post
                                LOL .. no. My dvd recorder has a hard drive in it so I "taped" it onto the hard drive. Then I'll either watch it on the machine or burn it to a disk and add it to my collection. (of Christmas shows)

Do they even still make any vcr's?

Ha, a good question. I THINK they still make DVD/VCR combos. Not positive about that but I at least know I bought one of those new from Walmart a few years ago so they were still being made THEN.

Actually. . . I just looked on Best Buy's website and it looks like you can buy a new DVD/VCR deck. That doesn't surprise me honestly. A lot of people invested thousands of dollars back in the day into their VHS collections so it stands to reason that there will be a market for devices that will play them.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 974 users online. 3 members and 971 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                                X