The Christmas Chronicles - New Netflix Christmas film

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Christmas Chronicles - New Netflix Christmas film

If you haven't heard of this one, it's a brand new Netflix film starring Kurt Russell as Santa Claus!

I thought it was a cute and fun film. The story is somewhat predictable but still pretty well-told, and Kurt Russell is awesome and seems to be having a lot of fun with the role. His presence and performance really help to elevate the film above what it would've been with a lesser actor.

We've been pretty starved for good Christmas movies over the last decade. There haven't been nearly enough and the ones that have come along mostly have not been that great, so I was happy to see Netflix do something like this.

It's not a Christmas movie A-lister or even a film that I'm certain I'll ever watch again, but it's a solid entry to the B-list and at least worth one go-around. I'd probably give it a 7/10.

Trailer:

Last edited by SPX; 12-07-2018, 08:59 PM.

Iíve been looking forward to this film. Based on your review, it appears to be exactly what I expected it to be....not a Christmas classic, but a bit of Christmas fun.
    "Christmas isn't just a day...it's a frame of mind!"

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
      Iíve been looking forward to this film. Based on your review, it appears to be exactly what I expected it to be....not a Christmas classic, but a bit of Christmas fun.
      If you look at RT you'll see that the critics' score is just so-so but the audience score is quite good:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...mas_chronicles

It seems to really be landing with audiences. A lot of the audience reviews are hailing it as a new holiday must-watch. I didn't quite feel that way, but I'm glad to know that others do.

What I most appreciated about the film was how it felt like a throw-back to the family movies of the 90s, which might make sense since it was produced by Chris Columbus, who directed Home Alone.

All in all, what I'll say is that while it may not have been as good as I hoped it would be, it was much better than I feared it might be. I was prepared for the film to be a big disappointment, but it's an entertaining Christmas family film. Good on Netflix for making it happen since, as I said in the OP, we've really had a drought of good Christmas movies over the past decade. .

By the way, I just saw that you already made a thread about this one. I missed it, otherwise I would've just posted my thoughts there!
      Last edited by SPX; 11-25-2018, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Watched this last night. It was better than I expected. My wife loved it. She wants to put it in our permanent Christmas movie rotation. Loved the cameo at the end!

"Christmas isn't just a day...it's a frame of mind!"

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
          Watched this last night. It was better than I expected. My wife loved it. She wants to put it in our permanent Christmas movie rotation. Loved the cameo at the end!
          Cool, glad y'all liked it!

As I said in the OP, I think it's pretty good and Kurt Russell really elevates the film. If you take him out and drop in some random, lesser actor the film would suffer greatly for it.

And yeah, I also thought the cameo at the end was great. Such a sweet little treat!

Comment

I absolutely loved the movie!!! Gonna watch it again here soon. My daughter and I are watching the polar express this morning while waiting for school.

Comment

Gonna have to check this out. Thanks SPX

(Reginald Owens > Alistar Simms
              The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by Will83 View Post
                I absolutely loved the movie!!! Gonna watch it again here soon. My daughter and I are watching the polar express this morning while waiting for school.
                Considering how few good Christmas movies we've gotten in the last several years, it definitely feels like something of a godsend and I hope it sends a message to studios that, hey, we want more good Christmas movies!

Netflix is claiming that 20 million streamed it in its first week of release:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/ch...es-1202025001/

Comment

Originally posted by Rybcon View Post
                  Gonna have to check this out. Thanks SPX
                  Cool, give it a look and let us know what you think!

Originally posted by Rybcon View Post
                  (Reginald Owens > Alistar Simms
                  C'mon, now you know that just isn't true. . .

I actually just ordered the Sim version on Blu-Ray and got it in the mail. Can't wait to watch it!

Comment

Thanks for the review. I'm definitely going to watch it before Christmas.
                    I bought the DVD of the Alistair Sim version a few years ago because I love that version so much. I only watch it once a year, during December.
                    The commentary is very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by EnlightenedGrinch View Post
                      The commentary is very informative.
                      That's interesting you say that about the commentary.

I have not yet listened to it, but I have heard that they have a very hard time staying focused on the film and only about a third of the discussion is actually about A Christmas Carol. That was disappointing to say the least.

Comment

Well, you're probably right. I guess since the movie is so old, they really didn't have a lot of "behind-the-scenes" info to discuss. And to tell the truth, it's probably been three years since I listened to the commentary.
                        But, I do remember them talking about some snippets of Alistair Sim's life, and I did find that interesting .
                        Thanks again, though. You were the one that turned me on to this version of Christmas Carol. I had never seen it until you mentioned it here on the forum. I had always liked the George C. Scott version best until I saw this version. The Sim version has been my favorite since then, hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by EnlightenedGrinch View Post
                          Well, you're probably right. I guess since the movie is so old, they really didn't have a lot of "behind-the-scenes" info to discuss. And to tell the truth, it's probably been three years since I listened to the commentary.
                          But, I do remember them talking about some snippets of Alistair Sim's life, and I did find that interesting .
                          Thanks again, though. You were the one that turned me on to this version of Christmas Carol. I had never seen it until you mentioned it here on the forum. I had always liked the George C. Scott version best until I saw this version. The Sim version has been my favorite since then, hands down.
                          Awesome! Well glad to hear that you have taken a liking to the Sim version. That makes me feel good.

I do think it's the best version, though I also like '84 with George C. Scott and '99 with Patrick Stewart. Have you seen the Stewart version?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1789 users online. 8 members and 1781 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                          X