Different versions of "A Christmas Carol'.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite film version is the George C. Scott version, followed by the Muppet Christmas Carol. It's just so much fun!

My brother and sister-in-law lived in Dallas for a number of years, and we went to a stage version there that was spectacular several times at the Dallas Theater Group (or Dallas Theater Center, don't remember which).

I've also gone down to see the one put on by Glendale Centre Theatre here in Southern California several times. It's a wonderful production as well.
    Mark
    Check out my Christmas reviews.

Comment

• Originally posted by carstairs38 View Post
      My favorite film version is the George C. Scott version, followed by the Muppet Christmas Carol. It's just so much fun!

My brother and sister-in-law lived in Dallas for a number of years, and we went to a stage version there that was spectacular several times at the Dallas Theater Group (or Dallas Theater Center, don't remember which).

I've also gone down to see the one put on by Glendale Centre Theatre here in Southern California several times. It's a wonderful production as well.

The Scott version is probably my second favorite. The Alistair Sim version comes first, Scott comes second, and then probably the Patrick Stewart version comes in third. I do like the Muppet Version, but I dunno, maybe since it strays in so many ways from the source material I can't take it too seriously.

Funnily enough, I used to live in Dallas and have also seen a theatrical version of ACC there as well. It was good, but I've seen better. My favorite remains one I saw at a small community theater in Jackson, MS. I always enjoy a well-made stage adaptation in any case.

Comment

• I love Patrick Stewart's one man version of ACC, and always listen to a recording of it every year driving home from Thanksgiving. However, I was highly disappointed by his movie version. I felt like it lacked the emotion.

And I must confess, I've never seen the Alistair Sim version. Some year, I shall have to fix that.
        Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by carstairs38 View Post
          I love Patrick Stewart's one man version of ACC, and always listen to a recording of it every year driving home from Thanksgiving. However, I was highly disappointed by his movie version. I felt like it lacked the emotion.

And I must confess, I've never seen the Alistair Sim version. Some year, I shall have to fix that.
          I've heard a lot about his one-man show. Honestly, I don't even understand how that would work, but I wish I could've seen it. I'm sure it was something to see.

As for his film adaptation, I'm surprised to hear you say that. I thought it was quite good and that Stewart's performance was solid. I think you have to remember that it was a made-for-TV TNT movie so some aspects won't live up big-screen expectations. I didn't think emotion was one of them, though.

Sim's version is the best, not only in my opinion but in the opinion of most critics as well. You really should just buy it on DVD/Blu-Ray. Though it's also available in its entirety on YouTube (though strangely the screen capture on the video seems to be from the '38 version?):

Comment

• And while we're at it, it appears that the George C Scott version is also up on YT:

Comment

• Originally posted by SPX View Post
              I've heard a lot about his one-man show. Honestly, I don't even understand how that would work, but I wish I could've seen it. I'm sure it was something to see.

As for his film adaptation, I'm surprised to hear you say that. I thought it was quite good and that Stewart's performance was solid. I think you have to remember that it was a made-for-TV TNT movie so some aspects won't live up big-screen expectations. I didn't think emotion was one of them, though.

Sim's version is the best, not only in my opinion but in the opinion of most critics as well. You really should just buy it on DVD/Blu-Ray. Though it's also available in its entirety on YouTube (though strangely the screen capture on the video seems to be from the '38 version?):

You're right. This is from the 1938 version.
              And I agree .. I don't know how the one man version would work. Guess I'd have to see it.
              Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

• I've never seen the one man version, but I listened to it. Listening to it was kind of like listening to a book on CD.

I'm not sure if he actually performed it as more than a monologue with various voices or not. Honestly, if that's what I was, I could have sat there and watched it spellbound. The recording with no visuals is amazing!

I think that might be why I am disappointed with the movie version. It doesn't have the life of the one man show in it. But it's been so long since I watched it I could be wrong.
                Mark

Comment

• I also rank the Sim version #1 and Scott #2.

Pella, Iowa is going to show the Sim version at the Pella Opera House on December 5. Admission is free. I've always wanted to see it on the big screen, but not sure I'll go. It is a 45 minute drive, the venue is small, and since admission is free there will be a bazillion people most likely. But....my daughter might want to go. She has a speech tournament that day but only 2 students that want to participate, so she might cancel. If she goes I'll probably go with her.
                  "Christmas isn't just a day...it's a frame of mind!"

Comment

• #1 - Owens/Siim
                    #2 - Stewart
                    The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                      I also rank the Sim version #1 and Scott #2.

Pella, Iowa is going to show the Sim version at the Pella Opera House on December 5. Admission is free. I've always wanted to see it on the big screen, but not sure I'll go. It is a 45 minute drive, the venue is small, and since admission is free there will be a bazillion people most likely. But....my daughter might want to go. She has a speech tournament that day but only 2 students that want to participate, so she might cancel. If she goes I'll probably go with her.

If that was happening around here, I'd definitely check it out. Being as you're such a big fan of the Sim version (I have seen you discussing it on IMDB as well) I think you might regret it if you don't take advantage of the opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by SPX View Post
                        If that was happening around here, I'd definitely check it out. Being as you're such a big fan of the Sim version (I have seen you discussing it on IMDB as well) I think you might regret it if you don't take advantage of the opportunity.
                        Quite true!

Saw my daughter today and she still isn't sure what she is going to do. Told her I would go with her if she decides to go. I'm also hoping it will be part of the "Classic" series at Cinemark theatres next month.

Yes, I also remember you from IMDB, my friend! I still visit but haven't posted there in awhile.
                        "Christmas isn't just a day...it's a frame of mind!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                          Yes, I also remember you from IMDB, my friend! I still visit but haven't posted there in awhile.
                          I think over the past few years I only have a handful of posts. Not sure why that is. Maybe I have said all I have to say on there about Sim's ACC? Or maybe I'm just taking a break.

Comment

• The three I enjoy is "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sim and I have that movie on Blu-ray. The second is "Scrooge" with Albert Finney and the ACC with George C. Scott. I think Albert Finney's Scrooge character is the best compared to the others.

Comment

• You'll never top the original Dickens story or its first film adaptation, but I honestly really like the Bill Murray speech near the end of Scrooged.

Comment

• It's not appropriate for kids, and the humor hasn't aged well, but the Married With Children episode with Sam Kinison as the angel is a classic Wonderful Life parody.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 911 users online. 5 members and 906 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
                                X