Different versions of "A Christmas Carol'.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different versions of "A Christmas Carol'.

Threw out the years I've seen more versions of this classic Christmas story than any other movie made. (With the exception of someone taking Santa's place or becoming the new Santa.} Even a few animated. And one Mupet. LOL I think the latest good one was with Patric Stewart as Scrooge. Two of my personal favorites are.
    Alastair Sim (black and white version) and
    George C. Scott.

And i've seen some really BAD versions as well. Most set in more modern times. Henry Wrinkler (sp?) did one called 'An American Christmas Carol.' Well done but nothing to remember. Most of the really bad ones were on Cable channels. Done with up and coming actors. A few were so bad that if you didn't already know the story you'd never been able to follow the show. LOL

Which are ya'lls favorites? Ones you don't like? Do you have VHS or DVD's of them?
    There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

For me, Alastair Sim is and always will be the real character of Scrooge.

Sure beats Bill Murrey.
    People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

I really like the version with George C. Scott. I think it's from 1984.
      I meant to tape it this year, but didn't. Maybe I can find it on DVD somewhere.
      I have seen the Patrick Stewart version, but I like the Scott version better.
      Oh, that reminds me--when I was a kid there was a half hour animated version of "A Christmas Carol" and in it they used the original drawings from Charles Dickens as a model for the animated characters. I remember it was REALLY creepy and I loved watching it. But I haven't seen it since.
      Does anybody remember that one?
      Last edited by EnlightenedGrinch; 01-01-2009, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Yep I remember that one EnlightendGrinch. Totally cool. But like you I haven't seen it in years. There's a hand full of animated versions for sale on Half.com. Weather or not that one is in the lot is anyone's guess. You might be able to get a copy of the Scott version there as well. I got a VHS of it over the summer cuz I still don't have a DVD player. Gust can't seem to catch up with all this new technology. LOL
        There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

I heard blueray may be on it's way out already. Not enough interest.
          People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

If everything goes back to VHS I'll be techo-correct again! LOL In the 70's they offered albums on real to real. ( for those of ya'll that don't know. Real to real is a 10 1/2 inch wheel of tape. Kinda like a movie real. The tape itself was wider. This meant more magnetic information and a better sound quality. Digital has NEVER come close to matching this format.) Most folks didn't own a real to real tape deck. They also offered really thick albums. I forget what they were called. "Vurgen pressing"? Something like that. A lot more expensive that a regular one. Most of these were used in radio stations. They held up better and could handle the constant playing.

There is one or two old black and white versions I haven't seen in years and wold like to have copies of. I'm not sure, this reference may be to the same version. Cratchet gets fired for knocking Scrooge's hat off with a snow ball.
            Either a different version or happens in the same one. Scrooge confronts his house maid on the stairs shortly after being reformed. All I can remember is she says something like this.
            "Thank you sir, in keeping with the situation!"

Comment

Same one. It's in Alastair's version.

Comment

I have Alastair's version. Have to watch it again. But I'm almost positive Cratchet doesn't get fired in that version.

There is also a version where Scrooge brings toys to the Cratchet's home. But I don't remember if it's in black and white or color.

And by the way Sickie Ickie, I agree with ya on Bill Murrey's "Scrooged". It would have been a hit if the entire show was as funny as there version of the ghost of Christmas past.

Comment

Your totally right Sickie Ickie. The Alastair's version is the one with Scrooge and his house maid on the stairs.

Comment

Thanks. I was beginning to doubt myself on that. heh It's my fave version.

Comment

No need to doubt yourself. I can go back and read the same book in a few years and it's all new to me. LOL Still looking for the one where Crachet gets fired for knocking Scrooge's hat off.

I saw part of a black and white one this year where Tiny Tim was almost as tall as Bob Cratchet himself.

Comment

I love the story and haven't really hated a version yet.

The Sim version is good, but a bit dated for me now. Absolutely LOVE the George C Scott version (which is available [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Carol-George-C-Scott/dp/B00000K3CJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1231039860&sr=1-1"]here[/ame]). Also think that the Patrick Stewart version is great. Scrooged is awesome!

But one that has not yet been mentioned is the all time classic: Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol. No joke, this is probably my favorite. Like the music, like the way it's played out... just like everything about it.

And I'm 36, before anyone thinks I'm 10 or something! LOL

Ryan
                        www.johnsonschristmascorner.com
                        www.lonestarholidays.com
                        www.hayleysfight.com

Comment

I think most of us are cartoon fanatics Ryan_Johnson. LOL I don't think I've seen that one but I used to watch Mr Magoo all the time. "Oh Mr Magoo, You've done it again!" LOL

Comment

I loved Magoo in Gilligan's Island. Oh wait...that was Mr. Howell

Comment

Ok- wait a second...

This:

Originally posted by putrid View Post
                              I think most of us are cartoon fanatics Ryan_Johnson.
                              is completely contradicted by this:

Originally posted by putrid View Post
                              I don't think I've seen that one
                              LOL!

If you have not seen the Magoo version, buy it immediately. I'm sure you'll find it for a very good price now that Christmas is over. Best Buy, Walmart, etc all have it in stock usually.
                              www.johnsonschristmascorner.com
                              www.lonestarholidays.com
                              www.hayleysfight.com

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1437 users online. 7 members and 1430 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
                              X