new house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new house

We just moved into our new house in January and I am beyond excited to decorate it for the first time. Here's a pic of our new place :

So what I was wondering was if any of your would post pictures of your lighting displays for inspiration! Thanks!
    beautifulnightmare on HalloweenForum
    my Pinterest

Congrats on the new pad Crazycookie! Even has a great color for lights! They'll stand out and look great on that darker color! Your house will look awesome decked out!

I don't really have inspirational lighting. White lights on a long flat gutter and around the windows.
    There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

That porch there is just *dying* to have lots of lights hanging from it.

Congrats on the new abode!
      Nutcracker fetishist.
      Visit my nutcracker blog

Comment

I like your house. It is just begging to be decorated. I don't have any tips for lighting decorating as I don't do much of that but I can picture it with wreaths and greenery at Christmas and skellies peeking out from everywhere at Halloween. They would be clinbing onto the roof, sitting on the porch, hiding in the carport. You are going to have so much fun with your new digs.
        https://www.pinterest.com/weewee50/

Comment

The peaks are the perfect shape for outlining with lights. I would stay with regular lights instead of icicle lights to bring out the nice straight lines along your eves. and a wreath on the upper white gable and two top windows. I would suggest typical old school decor. Wrapping posts, porch rails and hand rails with lighted garland. Lights around windows. If you are mixing Incan and led lights be sure to keep them separated. Don't mix them on bushes or windows, etc. It is an adorable house. I hope you enjoy decorating.

Comment

Nice house! Congratulations!

Comment

I agree with JW, your house is really the perfect shape for outlining with lights. Over the carport area, maybe something along the line with Santa's sleigh and his reindeer. Sorry but I'm not a fan of white lights at Christmas time. I know there are those who like them, but for me Christmas means "COLOR" and your house it built for it. Garland hanging from post to post on the porch area. Wreath's with bells or ribbon (or both) hanging on front of each post and in the front of each window, except for the main window on the porch area. There I'm seeing the family tree, where everyone who drives by will see it. Gutter hooks for lighting makes for a nice clean look, and they usually come in boxes of 100 each. Lot's of potential, I know it will look great no matter what you decide to do.

Comment

I agree with Falasben. Color is the way to go! To make color lights pop out even more mix in a few whites. Wreaths in windows with white light candles works great. This will give your eyes something of a reference. It's the reason why the old C7s and C9s looked so vivid. Take the white bulbs out and you end up with plenty of warmth. But duller all around lighting. White icicle lights with larger color lights, to me, brings out the best of both lighting. Here's a tip you might want to remember. Icicle lights can be high maintenance in high winds. Something to consider if you plan on using them on the second story eves.

I use whites around the windows and gutter for simple background lighting. This doesn't take away from the color lights in the artificial trees or blow molds. Tried using multi color lights on the house. Everything in the yard blended together. Just Whisper gave great advice about using LED and incandescent lighting. I use both. All the whites are now LEDs. I use both incans and LEDs in the trees. But never close together or part of the same scene.

Only seen a few houses done in all white that I thought looked great. An elegant form of gaudy? LOL

Crazycookie, I hope your home stands out as one of the best of many dected houses for Christmas in your new neighborhood!
                There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

I agree with Putrid and was going to mention the same as he said about whites and colors together (are we doing laundry here or decorating?) LOL. I usually layer my colors and whites to prevent them blending. For example, white icicles, color windows, white bushes, color and white yard lights like on blow molds, reindeer, any type of items that actually sit in the yard.

We have several homes here that do all white. Most of them look really pretty. I love the clean look of all white, especially with lots of garland. And I also love the festive and fun look of lots of color. Glad to have both type homes in the subdivision for breaking up the monotony of one type.
                  One thing I have noticed as I drive around is the big difference in the look between bright white and soft white lights, especially led. I feel like the soft white gives everything a yellowed, dirty look. Faded and old looking. The bright white has a clean crisp look and really makes it all pop. One neighbor has some new led icicles that I could hardly stop looking at. Bright white like real ice would be. Really sharp looking and eye catching. I wish mine were that bright. I like the bluish white color of mine but wish they were brighter.

I will look forward to seeing what you come up with. I am sure it will be great

Comment

Love the new house. Congratulations !!!!
                    Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

Yea, I think the yellow-ish white LEDs are called "warm white" and the blu-ish ones are called "cool white".

I prefer the cool white ones, myself.

Comment

Nice new house! Congratulations!

There are so many possibilities with this house, I am excited to see what you come up with.
                        World's Best Manager

Comment

Congrats on the new house - very pretty! That bit of lattice next to the stairs needs something. A tree outlined in lights or a full-sized Santa. Something BIG!
                          Glitter is like the herpes of all holidays - once you have it, you can't get rid of it!!!

Lisa

Comment

Thank you everyone! I will post pics of what I do! We are just so excited to put a big
                            Tree this year and not just a tabletop tree! I'm sure my small collection of lights from the trailer won't go far outside here. But I know slowly I will deck it out right!
                            beautifulnightmare on HalloweenForum
                            my Pinterest

Comment

I would put lighted pine garland swaged on the hand and porch railings, and hang wreathes on all the windows.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1262 users online. 2 members and 1260 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X