blow molds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halo, it has been very cold where I am this year, I have learned to use a star drill to start the holes for the stakes.

Merry Christmas and I hope you get a chance to enjoy the stuff you have put out!

Comment

• oh, tim, I never thought of that. thanks. well, today being xmas eve, and this late, I will keep that in mind for next year.
      so tim, what blow molds do you have? and merry Christmas to you too

Comment

• I put out @100. Candles, bears, santa, Mrs. Claus and elves, snow men, angels, carolers and manger scene.

Comment

• sounds cool tim. if you have a 100, you must have a beautiful display. I just got a couple of carolers this year myself. they are pretty old though, so I don't think I will put those out. I will just display them in the window. as of yet, I don't have any bears. I have today off, so I'm going to hit up menards and see what they have left, and what sales they have.
          Last edited by halorene; 12-26-2013, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• I think blow molds are starting to come back to fashion now, right? In my area, the person in Home Depot said that they have much less inflatables than before. The ones that were on the shelf were still remaining on the shelf; They were never bought. In Wal-Mart, the results were the same. Hardly anybody bought the inflatables.

Comment

• frosty, I seem to have seen a lot of blow molds out this year. seems even more than other years. I would have to agree with you. I went to menards today, I was hoping to land one of those santa, sleigh, reindeer combos they had, they were all gone. I did get at 40% off however, a beautiful angel. I debated on the bear or the nutcracker since I don't have one, but the angel was just so pretty. there were no mary, joseph, or babies left. and there were no penguins left. I'm happy with what I got.

Comment

• Originally posted by frosty04 View Post
                I think blow molds are starting to come back to fashion now, right? In my area, the person in Home Depot said that they have much less inflatables than before. The ones that were on the shelf were still remaining on the shelf; They were never bought. In Wal-Mart, the results were the same. Hardly anybody bought the inflatables.
                I personally don't understand the appeal of inflatables. Blow molds are more decorative, easier to install, less expensive and they'll last a lifetime if you take care of them. Part of the problem was the fact that most blow mold manufacturer's went out of business and the products weren't available. Out of sight, out of mind so to speak.
                https://christmaslightscreations.com/

Comment

• I posted this on our Facebook page but I thought it might be useful to post it here as well. Prime Plastics, the company that produced the Grand Venture line of Christmas and Halloween blow molds, is out of business. The steel molds used to produce the blow molds are currently in possession of the former CFO who has an ownership claim to them, although that is in dispute. Prime has had two auctions in the past month in an effort to sell assets to meet their debt, which exceeds $1 million. An equity firm attempted to find a buyer or investors to keep the company in business, but none were willing to purchase them. As it stands, the Grand Venture lines of blow molds won't be available anytime soon or they may never be produced again. Sad news indeed.
                  Last edited by CLCELF1; 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM. Reason: Punctuation
                  https://christmaslightscreations.com/

Comment

• post deleted
                    Last edited by Just Whisper; 01-25-2014, 11:20 PM. Reason: not in english

Comment

• You are absolutely correct about blow molds.... As someone who has been collecting blow molds for 45 years, I NEVER had the slightest interest in inflatables... They look really hokey, don't light up well, and in fact, are actually far more expensive that most blow molds.- Personally, I noticed far more blow molds on people's lawns, porches, and roofs this past Christmas season, than in the past several years.- Blow molds are indeed, superior to any inflatable..- I have many blow molds that I have displayed outside for over 40 years, and they are still in excellent shape...I don't think that you'll ever find an inflatable that will survive more than about 4 or 5 years outside in the winter elements... I'm just so glad to see that people's interest are turning back to blow molds, and that a lot more stores were selling them this past holiday season...

Comment

• I agree. I noticed more blow molds this year as well.
                        Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Comment

• clcelf, thanks for all that information. how sad for us blow mold collectors. and to bad for prime plastics.
                          blowmoldguy, that is so awesome you have been collecting for that many years. you have some wonderful examples then.
                          I agree, there sure were a lot more out this year. and a lot sold out of the stores. I always look at that as more chances for me to pick up some more used ones.
                          every time I find a new blow mold I get so excited.
                          last year I did get my Halloween ones out, but due to the weather and so much overtime at work, I didn't get my xmas ones out. had some people ask if I was getting them out. I was very disappointed I didn't get to display them. soooo, I was thinking maybe of displaying them in july. xmas in july would be kind of fun. and then hopefully I will get them out next xmas.
                          I do like the inflatables too. I found a couple at goodwill for $5.00. and a couple at a garage sale for $5.00. and a couple at the after Halloween sale for around $20.00. I will never be a die hard for these though. but the public likes them too. I didn't get those out this Halloween. just barely got my Halloween blow molds out.

Comment

• I collected some blow mold carolers. It seems like the ones made by Empire have the bulbs pointing sideways. A ceiling fan light bulb would better for that. That way it doesn't touch the plastic directly.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• frosty, those are wonderful. around here, I've only seen one house that puts out carolers. they are angel carolers. I've never even seen any put out in the stores. are those newer or older? good thing to mention the bulbs. that would be a shame to burn a hole.

Comment

• Last year I converted all of my carolers to CFLs. I had to grind down the bulb socket to make them fit, but they now use much less power and I do not need to worry about the burning issue. We have had a very cold winter and the CFLs worked great even on the nights when the temperature was in single digits. If you do use CFLs please make sure that you take them some place like home depot when they burn out to recycle and do not simply throw them out as they contain mercury. I did not have a single CFL failure this year and between snow men, carolers, manger scene and bears I probably had over 40 of them.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1282 users online. 4 members and 1278 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                                X