Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a Christmas Lights Snob?

Hey Everyone!
    So I know I'm not alone (at least HERE!) when I say I love outdoor Christmas decorations. All the work, the climbing, the hanging, the standing back and rearranging for aesthetics... it's all worth it to me when I can stand back and admire my warm, lovely display glowing back at me.

I like driving around, looking at others' lighting techniques, getting ideas for my own lawn (and lawns I WANT to own in the cases of those really big awesome displays!), and ok, yes - ripping on the eyesores of the season. I know, it seems mean to critique others' hard work, but I think a lot of people do the same thing and just don't admit it.

I've noticed along the way that there are MANY people who don't know what they're doing! Honestly, sometimes I am tempted to write an anonymous note asking someone to just STOP - for the good of the neighborhood! Also, the lack of concern for electrical safety I've seen is nothing to sneeze at.

So I wrote a quick how-to blurb about the things I have noticed, ways to improve technique, and products I have found helpful in my quest for safety AND beauty, including a "Don'ts" list. You can check it out here at my holiday lighting tutorial.

I'd like to know your thoughts, both on this forum and on the tutorial page, about things YOU'VE seen that violate common aesthetic courtesy when it comes to decorating choices, and other pearls of wisdom you feel need to be imparted about hanging up holiday lights and decorations.

Let's keep this fun, no names or addresses..... it's nice that people stilll spend time doing this, and in MOST cases (aside from a few major violators to the eye), attempts at lights are better than nothing - I hate seeing entire blocks of dark, normal night-time houses during the holidays.

So what's the worst you've seen?
    Here's an idea! Visit http://www.mekimare.com for honest product reviews, hobby and activity tips, and more!

Not really a snob, but I do question how some people put things up. I always drive around looking at peoples christmas displays looking for new ideas and what not. Lol I am shure people in my nieghborhood question my display some may like some may not.
    Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

Comment

deleted by me
      Last edited by Just Whisper; 11-21-2009, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Beauty is in the electric bill of the homeowner. Then the eye of the beholder I guess. LOL
        Fortunately creativity is the deckers choice and it isn't about what the viewer likes. Sorry, I know it's just me, but for me being fashionable is nothing more than admitting you have no creativity of your own. Don't mean to come across this mean but I found your article and some of your statements in your opening to this thread kinda cold and lacking real info. Really hope it's how I'm taking it and not how it's meant.
        There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

The thing that bugs me the most is others who take the time to put up a decent display, but then never check it visually every day to repair any burned out bulbs, wind blown props, leaning trees, sagging light strings, etc.
          Take pride in your display and keep it looking good! Don't just turn it on and forget about it until you take it down!

Comment

Very well put-together tutorial. Light hearted but to the point, it can give the novice some new techniques to consider!
            "Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!"

Comment

You had me nodding my head agreeing with your points right up to the final "don't" (Decoratus Vomiticus)...thats where you lost me. But I guess thats because I cant see my windows and my yard is filled with both store bought and homemade props everywhere. I would still say I have a well mapped out display and I am methodical in positioning all my pieces in my yard. I think beauty is in the eye of the light holder any and every strand makes me smile...even when I pass "airlights" on the road I get to chuckle a bit. To me decorating my house is pouring my soul into my yard to share my feelings of Christmas with my community.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I like hearing all sides of the coin on this one. I'm not one for uniform lighting (maybe that's why I have such a vendetta against the houses who throw on net lighting and string icicle lights and call it a day - just looks too store-bought for me) - it just irks me when it looks like all someone did was empty out an old box of lights and plug it in with no rhyme or reason. Even huge displays can be well thought out and avoid looking muddy or too busy.

And it's important to take pride in your home, so if you like the way you decorate, bravo!

My opinions are just that, and they are not meant to offend anyone at all. That's what I like about this forum, it's a good place to voice opinoins and have a dialogue without getting angry.

Here's an idea! Visit http://www.mekimare.com for honest product reviews, hobby and activity tips, and more!

Comment

The only thing that bothers me is when ppl put up their lights in 1999 and leave them there until 2009, Clips break and part of the strand falls (they never make an effort to go out an clip it back up) or a bulb has burned out and well... thats ok, whos gonna notice?!? I guess its the laziness that gets to me more than anything. I think it just makes for more of a mess than eye pleasing. It really doesn't matter if they have one strand or 95 strands, if it looks like effort was put into it, I love it! I see WAY to many with strands hanging down because clips have broke, or they simply let go from over the years of not taking them down.

Comment

well, my house is not going to sin a awards for coolness, I have led's this year, gotten on clearance last years, and have a riot of color, both big and little, the little are on the house, bigger ones one tree trunks and fence,all colors on both, it might not be any ones idea of what is correct, but I don't care, I will like it and that is what counts.
                    my pinterest page: pinterest.com/betheneg

Comment

Originally posted by bethene View Post
                      well, my house is not going to sin a awards for coolness, I have led's this year, gotten on clearance last years, and have a riot of color, both big and little, the little are on the house, bigger ones one tree trunks and fence,all colors on both, it might not be any ones idea of what is correct, but I don't care, I will like it and that is what counts.
                      LOL. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
                      The only people who grow old were born old to begin with

Comment

well, it proves I can't type worth a toot!! LOL!
                        my pinterest page: pinterest.com/betheneg

Comment

around my town im happy if anyone puts up anything.. tacky or not LOL... the town decorates though, its cute.. i plan to outdo everyone again this year though.. HAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by coffee4106 View Post
                            around my town im happy if anyone puts up anything.. tacky or not LOL... the town decorates though, its cute.. i plan to outdo everyone again this year though.. HAHAHAHA
                            I agree. Even the tacky stuff has a place for me. Some of them reach the point were they are so bad they are good

Comment

It is true that you do have to maintain your display to keep it looking good with the people who just go out and buy the one string of lights at least they are trying there are many houses who don't do anything. I have been told many times that my display is tacky but the people who like far outweighs the people who don't(I get a christmas card from union pacific every year thanking me for putting up my display) plus it is worth it when you see the face of the kids.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1020 users online. 3 members and 1017 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X