Gingerbread House (aka Son of Giant Candy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gingerbread House (aka Son of Giant Candy)

Follow along if you will my building of the facades for the front of my house into a giant gingerbread house. Pictures will be posted regularly. I finally figured why it takes me so long to get a project like this started...I'll stand in front of my house, looking at the dimensions, figuring how a piece will fit here, and a decoration will go there. I'll pull out my measuring tape, take a few measurements that I've already taken thrice AND written down last week. I'll cross my arms and look at the walls again, visuallizing what goes where. "Dinner time!", I suddenly hear.

On a side note, every year we hold a Candy House Making party for the neighborhood. We build small houses out of cereal boxes and tape them to a paper plate. 1 per kid and another made from gingerbread, 1 per family. The dining room table is spread with bowls and bowls of all kinds of candies. Grahm crackers are the wood siding, frosting is the cement. The kids spend a few hour decorating their houses into all sorts of designs. After a satisfactory inspection by the Building Code Inspector (me) they get to take it home. General rule is they cannot eat it until Christmas Day.

I was thinking of building a frame then attaching the foamboard to it, but the more I look at it I could use a few strategically placed screws into the stucco.

I've put together about a dozen giant m&m candies using two paper plates (small size), trimmed the flat edge, glued together, sparay painted (red, green, orange), then glued on a white paper "m" from a sheet I made and printed out. I was looking for small frisbee-type disks from Party City, no luck.

Painted two 4x8 foam boards gingerbread color. I really hope the stuff dries darker than what's in the can. So far it has the look of baby poop.

Made 3 of 4 candy cane stripes from 1x3 pine and red spray paint.

Put finishing colors on some giant lillipops and mints. Attached the lollipop sticks to the back of the foam board by cutting a groove and securing with the last few drops from a tube of Liquid Nailz.

Took flexible foam tube, rolled it flat into a circle, secured with wire while the glue dried. Those will be taffypops.

Drew but have yet to cut the semi-circles for the giant orange slices.

Mainly been working on getting the candy made, then I'll figure how it will go on the gingerbread.

I promise pictures!
    "Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!"

This sounds so amazing!! I actually got hungry reading it and now I want to eat your house...is that weird?

Comment

Warrant2000 sounds like you have some really cool ideas! Hope the paint dries to your liking for your gingerbread house. Yes do post pics has you go! I just think about all the measuring I do and its a lot lol keep us posted!
      Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Griswold View Post
        This sounds so amazing!! I actually got hungry reading it and now I want to eat your house...is that weird?
        lol - me and Wifeypoo were joking yesterday about how I should post a sign that says, "No Licking!"
        "Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!"

Comment

Try here for your small discs: http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/se...allpartial&N=0
          People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

I finally figured why it takes me so long to get a project like this started...I'll stand in front of my house, looking at the dimensions, figuring how a piece will fit here, and a decoration will go there. I'll pull out my measuring tape, take a few measurements that I've already taken thrice AND written down last week. I'll cross my arms and look at the walls again, visuallizing what goes where. "Dinner time!", I suddenly hear.
            LMAO.. I thought i was the only one who does this. My neighbor (a friend of mine) asked me one day why I spend hours standing in front of my house just staring at it right before halloween and christmas. Now I do not feel so stupid...or alone. LOL

It sounds like you are off to a great start on the house warrant. The candies sound good so far. You have had some ingenious ideas. I am excited to see pics.

Comment

Here's the first round of pics, everything is in construction stage...

Front of my house. I'll outline the walls, not the garage door with the gingerbread and candy. In case you can't read the sign on the left, it says, "Navy parking only. All others will be sunk."

Candies in various stages of construction.

Mints and other things being painted. Those round plastic bowls came from Party City in green, purple, blue, and red. I took a few of the clear bottoms and painted them neon orange and green.

Comment

keep goin' man!
                People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Sweet. Keep those pics coming.

Comment

m&m's in various stages of assembly. I took 2 paper plates, trimmed the flat edge, taped them glued together, spray painted. I printed out lower case "m", 12 to a page, then cut out and glued onto the candy with craft glue.

Backside of a cherry blast sucker. Using a box cutter I cut a groove for the pvc pole. Applied the last of my Liquid Nailz in a tube.

Foam tube from Home Depot, rolled into a coil, held in place with wire, glue both sides, paint white. After some colorful detailing, it will turn out like taffy candy.

Comment

are you going to try to waterproof the M&Ms?

Comment

Originally posted by Just Whisper View Post
                        are you going to try to waterproof the M&Ms?
                        Got a can of shalac spray for that, I just need to ensure it's not to thick.

Comment

Looking great Warrant2000. I really like all the ideas your are doing may have to use some for next year. Keep posting as you go its going to look awesome!
                          Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

Comment

Great job on the candy. I'd love to make me some of those m&m's .
                            Very clever.

Comment

Looks really good, Warrant!
                              That's a lot of great ideas there!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1410 users online. 6 members and 1404 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X