EnlightenedGrinch's Flying Reindeer Prop, 2014 Contest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EnlightenedGrinch's Flying Reindeer Prop, 2014 Contest

I'm "planning" to make an animated Flying Reindeer using of one of those lighted wireframe bucks. Well, it won't really FLY, but the front and back legs will move and hopefully the whole body will move up and down also to simulate the movement of flying. Like most props I build, I haven't ever seen a prop like this one created before and I'm not really sure if it is going to work, but I'm giving it my best shot. It could end up being a total disaster, but that's all part of the fun. If my original idea doesn't pan out, I do have an alternate idea.
    Just hope I don't run out of time, since I waited so long to start.

Here's a pic of the group of parts so far. I've got the motor already bolted inside the PVC rail section I'm using as a mount. The deer has been decapitated for now, since I only need to work mainly with the body and the legs. I'll re-attach his head later when everything is working. The wooden stand is what I will mount the deer on (hopefully). My local paper is pretty boring and could really seem like it's from any day/month/year, even though I tried to zoom in on the date. For extra verification I also threw in the latest issue of Rolling Stone. I think it's some guy from Game of Thrones on the cover. Never seen the show myself.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it!

Interesting..........

Comment

That looks fascinating Grinch. May I borrow it when you are done reading it? i love Game of Thrones.

Your prop idea sounds like it will be really cute. I hope it works because I love reindeer. I am sure you will make it a brilliant success. Because that is just the way you roll.

Comment

Yes. This is an ambitious one. Very cool.

Comment

Thanks! I'll find out soon if the motor I'm trying to use has enough "oomph" to do what I want it to. The laws of physics might be against me.
          I really need a wiper motor, but I don't think I have time to get one.

Yea, you can have the mag, Whisper. I can mail it to you.

Comment

Well, if you use a Reindeer motor, it should work perfectly. After all, it is a Reindeer motor....

Sounds like fun Grinch.
            World's Best Manager

Comment

LOL, Edwin. Yes, but I need a motor that has about 100 times the torque of a regular reindeer motor and doesn't reverse itself.
              My deer's motor has already been surgically removed.

Good news--I tested the motor today with all the weight of the reindeer and it looks like it's going to work. I'm happy about that.
              Now to work on the mechanics of the legs.......

Comment

wow,, that is going to be amazing Grinch,, can't wait to see it!
                my pinterest page: pinterest.com/betheneg

Comment

Me too. Glad to hear the motor will work. That is often the hardest part to get right.

Comment

Here's a few update pics of my prop. I think it's going to work like I want it to, but I'm really going to have to anchor the base of it in the ground to keep it from tipping over. I'll be happy if it just doesn't shake itself to pieces.

This is the linkage that will move the back legs:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	150875

This is the front leg linkage:

Name:	007.JPG
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	150876

This is the base of the prop with the motor and crank mounted:

Name:	008.JPG
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	150877

Body of deer (The black board is there for support of the crank rod that moves the deer) :

Name:	009.JPG
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	150878

Deer with legs extended:

Name:	010.JPG
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	150879

I'm trying to make this prop operate similar to the movement of the fox near the bottom of this page:

http://www.robives.com/category/tags/crank_slider

Now I need to re-attach his head and antlers, then anchor them so they don't fly off. After that, extend his electric plug with some wire.
                    Last edited by EnlightenedGrinch; 05-18-2014, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Looking good and cool idea!
                      http://carterchristmaslights.com/

Comment

Originally posted by EnlightenedGrinch View Post
                        Thanks! I'll find out soon if the motor I'm trying to use has enough "oomph" to do what I want it to. The laws of physics might be against me.
                        I really need a wiper motor, but I don't think I have time to get one.
                        Too bad you do not have any of the 'old' $10 electronic goldmine motors. The one I used on my Grinch pop up had more speed and torque than the reindeer motors. Can't wait to see your finished entry.
                        Georgia R.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoback View Post
                          Too bad you do not have any of the 'old' $10 electronic goldmine motors. The one I used on my Grinch pop up had more speed and torque than the reindeer motors. Can't wait to see your finished entry.
                          If you're talking about the black vent motor, I DO have about four of those left. But I'm saving them, since they are rarer than gold.
                          But I know that vent motor would have nowhere near enough power to lift up a wireframe reindeer, so I didn't even try it.

Thanks, Donny!

Comment

I think I've got my entry done. I say "I think" because I need to take it out in the yard, anchor it down, turn it on and see what happens.

I'm 95.8% sure it's going to work.

Comment

Well, tried out my contraption last night and had a few "technical difficulties".
                              First of all, my deer was mounted backwards on the PVC pipe. Looked like he was jumping backwards instead of forward. Also all of the shaking made his antlers want to fly off.
                              I worked some today on turning those problems around 180 degrees (LOL) and also trying to improve the PVC mechanism. I think I can have it working by the deadline.
                              Just hope I'm still under budget.
                              Last edited by EnlightenedGrinch; 05-23-2014, 10:21 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1258 users online. 7 members and 1251 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
                              X