2012 Prop Contest-- EnlightenedGrinch's Entry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Prop Contest-- EnlightenedGrinch's Entry

The prop I'm going to build for the dual-purpose prop contest is a small scale replica of Snoopy's decorated dog house, just like it looks in the Charlie Brown Christmas special.
    I plan to attempt to make it look as close to the original as possible, using some battery powered mini-lights and making all the other decorations and doo-dads myself out of whatever materials I can find. The size of it will be approximately 14 inches long, 11 inches wide and 15 inches tall.
    It could be used as a Christmas centerpiece or a table-top decoration.
    The second purpose of my dual-purpose prop is that it will also be a real BIRDHOUSE that I will mount onto a pole in my back yard. Hopefully some "decker" birds will move in.

Here's what I have so far:

What an adorable idea Grinch. I love it. That is looking really nice so far. great craftsmanship. I guess I better get off the computer and go work on my prop. LOL.

Comment

What a neat idea. Good thing you weren't making a Garfield place if birds are moving in! LOL
      People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Thanks, Sickie and Whisper!
        I originally wanted to build a full size Snoopy house, but I don't have the building space or a storage space large enough to handle a prop that big.
        Thanks for the compliment on craftsmanship, Whisper. I just use a hand saw and take my time.

Comment

Awesome prop idea EnlightenedGrinch!
          There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Its going to be totally cool Grinch!
            Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

Comment

Thanks, Putrid and Chris!

Comment

GREAT idea, Grinch! Love the bird house for the 2nd use!
                my pinterest page: pinterest.com/betheneg

Comment

I get it now. I see what your up to. You didn't want to spend the extra money on white paint for the snow. THAT'S why this is a bird house. Sickie Ickie EnlightenedGrinch is cheating!!! Sickie Ickie how do you pro rate bird poop? JK LOL

Have you figured out how to make that odd wind wheel looking thing?
                  There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

Comment

Originally posted by putrid View Post
                    I get it now. I see what your up to. You didn't want to spend the extra money on white paint for the snow.

Have you figured out how to make that odd wind wheel looking thing?
                    LOL, Putrid. Actually, I do have a lot of white paint. It's the stuff I'm supposed to be using on the windowsills of the house. (Shhh....Don't tell my wife.)

I have thought a lot about what to use for that wind wheel thing. I think I'll take apart a small muffin fan and use the fan blade from that. Paint it yellow......

I finally made it to Lowe's yesterday, so I can make some progress on my prop now.

Thanks a lot, Bethene!
                    Last edited by EnlightenedGrinch; 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I made some more progress. Got the roof put on after priming some of the pieces. I used some wooden furring strips I had leftover from when I framed some lattice panels to cover the bottom of our deck. They worked great and they are cheap. Ten 6-foot sections for around $8.00.
                      Next step is to prime the whole thing, then paint it blue. (Most depictions of Snoopy's house show it in a red color, but in the Christmas special it's blue. So, that's the color I'm going to use.)

Comment

That is really coming along fine. It is so darn cute. Are you going to paint the door on the house and then cut a real hole just big enough for the birds? If I was a bird I would love to live there.

Comment

Thanks a lot, Whisper. Yes, that's what I plan to do. Paint the whole door area black, then cut a large hole for the birds.
                          I'll also add a piece of wooden dowel under the hole as a perch.

Comment

Looking good Grinch!
                            Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

Comment

What type of birds are you hoping to attract?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1113 users online. 5 members and 1108 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,474 at 09:13 PM on 11-26-2017.

Working...
                              X