Thread: christmas play props

Default christmas play props

I need help fast on how to make props for my christmas play.

Center of Connecticut, town called Higganum

What type of play is it? We all have different abilities. Is there candy involved? Do you need slides? Snowflakes?
    I swear, I went through this entire strand. Each light I pulled out and put back in. Oh, I didn't check the fuse! My thumb is so sore, will I learn for next time?

Is it religious with a nativity? What's the format, location, and venue? Hand-held or static props? House family fun or large scale production? What sort of budget do you have?

Happy to help just throw us some details! In the meantime, here's a guess and some ideas:

Santa and His Sleigh:
    - Cut a sleigh siloette using a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. Paint red and decorate with tinsle strings and ornaments. Put a raised chair behind so Santa can sit.
    - Use rope lights as the reins.
    - Santa Gift Bag: Take a red sheet or fabric, fold in half, sew two edges to create a bag. Turn inside out to put the hem hidden on the inside. Adorn with sleigh bells and white fuzzy trim.
    - Large candy canes can be cut from plywood and painted, or use PVC pipe and angle joints to create a cane. Or just buy them from the store (easier and faster since you have a short timeline).

Elf Costumes:
    - Most combinations of red, green, and white work. Google-search for pictures of christmas elfs and see how the patterns and designs are. Flannel or cotton works good and is cheap. Make whimsical colors and oversized sleeves. Attach bells to the shoulders and cuffs.

Nativity
    - Again with a 4x8 sheet of plywood, cut out a siloette of a kneeling figure with hands in front as if praying. Notch the bottom and put a cross board to keep it standing up. Take spare sheets and cloth and use a staplegun to attach and dress the figure in robes. Paint the face in a neutral tone or leave as is.
    - Manger with Baby Jesus: Take (4) 2-foot lengths of skinny board and make an (2) "X"'s. Use a fifth 2' long skinny board as the spine to connect the (2) "X"'s at the x-mark. Now place (2) boards like a "V" on top to create the manger, that's where the baby doll figure will go. Place a short string of white lights , cover with a tuffed up roll of white cloth, then place the baby doll on top.

Candy House Fun:
    - Look in this album for lots of pictures on making giant candy things. http://christmasfanclub.com/album.php?albumid=99

Go to the local Dollar Store and look for all the Christmas items, knick-knacks, etc. I bet you'll find something useful there.

I hope some of this is useful! Let us know some details and we'll be all over this.
    "Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!"

maryspringhil, list the kind of props your wanting to make. Be easier to try and help.
    There is beauty in a winter's full moon. Glittering off the snow between the shadows of barren branches.

OK? Is the play tonight?
    Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...