Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Different versions of "A Christmas Carol'.

okay you guys, this is one of my favorite movies. the only movie i snatch up every version i can. so here goes-i have-[an american Christmas carol with henry winkler] [scrooged with bill murray] [the family classic scrooge with sir seymour hicks] [brer rabbit's Christmas carol] [a Christmas carol with reginald owen] [a Christmas carol with alastair sim] [a Christmas carol with tim curry] [the muppet Christmas carol] [a Christmas carol with no one special listed] [mickey's Christmas carol] [mr magoo's Christmas carol] [a Christmas carol with vincent price] [veggie tales an Easter carol] [ghosts of girlfriends past] my favorite that i own is scrooged. and then i would probably pick the muppets. there's some pretty cool ghosts in that one. i love seeing all the different versions of ghosts. then it's a toss up between alastair sims and henry winkler. bethene, what did you think of the jim carrey version?
    the tim curry version is an animated version with the voices of tim curry, whoopi goldberg, michael york, and ed asner. it was okay as far as animated goes. it was better than the cartoon version, a Christmas carol with no one special named.
    i don't know if i've seen the 1938 version.
    so i went to goodwill on saturday, and on the shelf was a movie that read...a Christmas carol...so i thought, i wonder which one i have is this one. oh my lucky stars, it was the george c scott one. $1.00 later and it's mine. i watched it early yesterday, and it is for sure my favorite. i love all the visual effects and ghosts. i like how the carriage comes and goes in the london fog.

I love the George C. Scott one too Hallo,, I know, the carriage is creepy looking,,, Love it too!!!!!!

well, guys, found a VHS version I have not seen before, and having read thru all the posts, only Halorene mentioned it at all,, it is The Family Classic "Scrooge", with Sir Seymour Hicks, it is from 1935, a hour long, and in black and white, obviously, don't have a vhs player hooked up, so will have to wait to watch, but at least I have it! would like to be like Hallo and collect them all! will keep a eye out in the flea market this year.

i think i got the seymour hicks one from my mothers collection when she passed away. i know i got one tape from her. nice score bethie. i hope to score the jim carey one. i've never seen it. or any others out there i don't have

okay you guys, this is one of my favorite movies. the only movie i snatch up every version i can. so here goes-i have-[an american Christmas carol with henry winkler] [scrooged with bill murray] [the family classic scrooge with sir seymour hicks] [brer rabbit's Christmas carol] [a Christmas carol with reginald owen] [a Christmas carol with alastair sim] [a Christmas carol with tim curry] [the muppet Christmas carol] [a Christmas carol with no one special listed] [mickey's Christmas carol] [mr magoo's Christmas carol] [a Christmas carol with vincent price] [a Christmas carol with george c scott one] [veggie tales an Easter carol] [ghosts of girlfriends past] my favorite that i own is george c scott one, then scrooged, and then i would probably pick the muppets. there's some pretty cool ghosts in that one. i love seeing all the different versions of ghosts. then it's a toss up between alastair sims and henry winkler.

so i went to goodwill today, and on the shelf was the movie...all dogs Christmas carol... $1.00 later and it's mine. i was pretty excited because i had never heard of this one. i tried watching it tonight, but i fell asleep, from what i saw it was pretty cute
    Last edited by halorene; 05-09-2012 at 05:48 AM.

okay you guys, this is one of my favorite movies. the only movie i snatch up every version i can. so here goes-i have-[an american Christmas carol with henry winkler] [scrooged with bill murray] [the family classic scrooge with sir seymour hicks] [brer rabbit's Christmas carol] [a Christmas carol with reginald owen] [a Christmas carol with alastair sim] [a Christmas carol with tim curry] [the muppet Christmas carol] [a Christmas carol with no one special listed] [mickey's Christmas carol] [mr magoo's Christmas carol] [a Christmas carol with vincent price] [a Christmas carol with george c scott] [an all dogs Christmas carol] [veggie tales an Easter carol] [ghosts of girlfriends past] my favorite that i own is george c scott one, then scrooged, and then i would probably pick the muppets. there's some pretty cool ghosts in that one. i love seeing all the different versions of ghosts. then it's a toss up between alastair sims and henry winkler.

it was a great day...i went to goodwill yesterday and they had...scrooge...with albert finney. another to add to my collection

I love the 1938 version of Christmas Carol with Gene Lockhart and Reginal Owen. This one is also black and white.
    It's interesting seeing the real-life husband and wife team of Gene and Kathleen Lockhart. Plus their daughter June is in it. (the future Mrs Robinson from Lost in Space)
    At 70 minutes long it does not take long to watch.

The local tv station used to play the movie. But you'd have to look real hard in the tv guides to find it. (sometimes it would be on in the wee hours of the morning) Way back when I got the VHS version. A few years ago I got the DVD. A must view every year.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Chris...rol_(1938_film)
    Prieci'gus Ziemsve'tkus un Laimi'gu Jauno Gadu! (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Latvian)

Alistair Sim version would be first followed by the Seymour Hicks version after.

Top 5:

1. Sim
    2. George C. Scott
    3 and 4 are probably a tie: Stewart and Carrey
    5. Owen

Quote Originally Posted by Viktorija View Post
    I love the 1938 version of Christmas Carol with Gene Lockhart and Reginal Owen. This one is also black and white.
    It's interesting seeing the real-life husband and wife team of Gene and Kathleen Lockhart. Plus their daughter June is in it. (the future Mrs Robinson from Lost in Space)
    At 70 minutes long it does not take long to watch.
    This is my dad's favorite version and we have often debated its merits (as I have done with Rybcon here on this forum).

My take is that it's okay. I like the scene with the minister at the beginning where he shoos away the kids for sliding on the ice in front of the church . . . and then tries it himself with childish delight after everyone is gone. (A scene which is actually not in Dickens' book.) And the Ghost of Christmas Past is pretty hot as well.

But all in all, I think there are several superior versions that require viewing first. I will often get around to the '38 version but only after I've rolled through all the others on my list. With that said though, it is among the versions that I have seen the least, so for that reason I do sometimes feel more motivated to watch it just because I'm a lot less familiar with it than I am many other versions, the GCS and Stewart versions in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktorija View Post
    The local tv station used to play the movie. But you'd have to look real hard in the tv guides to find it. (sometimes it would be on in the wee hours of the morning) Way back when I got the VHS version. A few years ago I got the DVD. A must view every year.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Chris...rol_(1938_film)
    I always enjoy other people's stories and traditions about looking out for certain movies every year to come on TV and then making sure that everyone is gathered around at the right time to watch them. With such easy access to films on DVD and the Internet now, and the ease with which a movie can be DVRd and watched later, it seems that this kind of thing is largely a thing of the past.
    Last edited by SPX; 10-05-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast