PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a Fiber Optic Tree

rocknrude
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Greetings,

I found you guys after lurking about Halloween Forum. I have a little repair project for next season. I have a 3' tree that has a color changing fiber-optic system. It uses a motor, a color wheel & a 20w Bi-pole bulb. I've had it for years and haven't seen another like it. The motor that turns the color wheel, burned out. It's an 12VAC 42TYZ Synchronous Motor that turns 3-4rpms. I haven't found a source that doesn't require me ordering a 1000 units from China. I was even considering dumping the whole setup & just wiring up a color changing LED bulb. Any suggestions?

Rybcon
01-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Look online at W.W. Grainger or McMaster-Carr

Just Whisper
01-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Go to Walgreens after Christmas and pick up a new tree for $4.00. I have a half dozen of them.

theedwin
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I believe it is the same motor used in a microwave to turn the dish. Or you can find one in a "stir crazy" popcorn popper. If it is not the same, it is at least the same size. (I forget the voltage tho on the Micro motors... May be 120 volt. Sickie?

I have the motor you are asking about as I took apart one of those trees, but it is at work and I have the next couple days off. It has the long arm that holds the plastic color wheel.

I still think a microwave motor may work, but if it doesn't I could part with the motor that I have. Feel free to send me a PM.

Sickie Ickie
01-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Yepper. 120VAC for microwave motors, Edwin.

EnlightenedGrinch
01-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Surplus Center has several AC motors similar to that one:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2252010610411697&catname=electric&keyword=GIAR

chris
01-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I think I may have the same christmas tree? The motor stopped working also.

tpeerson
01-04-2011, 07:44 AM
I'd like to revisit this topic as I have just come across the same problem. I found this thread while searching for an answer.

A neighbor threw out one of these trees last week and I saved it from the trash collector. It looks brand new. It didn't have the power supply, but I had one in my collection. What I eventually, and accidentally, discovered was that the motor turned if I took the bulb out of the socket. Put the bulb is put back in and the motor stops.

Since I'm not using the original power adapter, I thought maybe what I have isn't the proper amperage rating. Maybe I need a stronger adapter. If that's the case, could it be possible that the adapters of those with "bad" motors actually have power adapters that have "worn out"??? I don't know. But you might want to remove the bulbs to test if your motor turns. In the mean time, I'll be looking into the wiring of AC motors and lights for any tips on why this may happen.

Before I discover this phenomena, I spent an hour taking apart the motor, re-greasing the gears and checking the wiring before I noticed it said "AC" on the label! Funny thing, when I first tried DC adapters, the motor would "flinch" occasionally, and once or twice even turned for a second... which is why I first thought the problem might be something internally.

tpeerson
01-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Eureka! I had a 10watt halogen lamp on hand and tried it in the tree. This time the motor did not stop.

So I'm thinking, in the case where the motor turns with the bulb removed:
1. The adapter has "weakened".
or
2. The motor has "tightened up" and needs more "oomph" to run than originally.

rocknrude
01-04-2011, 08:30 AM
I totally forgot about this thread. A little before the season started, I took another look at my tree. Everything checked out with a multi-meter, so I took the motor apart. It looked like the grease dried up and froze the gears. So after taking it apart, cleaning & re-greasing, that did the trick!

tpeerson
01-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks for that info rocknrude. I greased mine up but it's still won't start up with the 20w lamp. HOWEVER, I did get a little over zealous and "distorted" the case a little when putting it back together, which may have put the gears a little out of alignment. I'll look into it again. :-)

Sickie Ickie
01-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Eureka! I had a 10watt halogen lamp on hand and tried it in the tree. This time the motor did not stop.

So I'm thinking, in the case where the motor turns with the bulb removed:
1. The adapter has "weakened".
or
2. The motor has "tightened up" and needs more "oomph" to run than originally.

was it a lower wattage bulb than previous?

tpeerson
01-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes. The original bulb was a 20w.

chris
01-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I am going to have to check mine?

theedwin
01-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Very glad you guys got your motors cranking again! :D

Always remember, read the instructions! LOL! :D

soxrnum1
11-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I have one these trees, but I seem to have misplaced the power cord for it. Any ideas where I can get a new or used one?

Sickie Ickie
11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Ebay. Find out the output you need and if it is AC or DC.

pthomasg
12-13-2012, 08:44 AM
I believe it is the same motor used in a microwave to turn the dish. Or you can find one in a "stir crazy" popcorn popper. If it is not the same, it is at least the same size. (I forget the voltage tho on the Micro motors... May be 120 volt. Sickie?

I have the motor you are asking about as I took apart one of those trees, but it is at work and I have the next couple days off. It has the long arm that holds the plastic color wheel.

I still think a microwave motor may work, but if it doesn't I could part with the motor that I have. Feel free to send me a PM.

I read this post a few days ago. I have one of these trees that has become a family heirloom. It has a lot of sentimental value to me so I wanted to thank everyone who spent the time posting ideas. I disassembled the original motor and spent quite a few hours cleaning and rebuilding to no avail. I also visited several electronic supply houses in hopes of finding a motor or some replacement parts. One of my family memebers just happened to have a microwave on the side of their house slated for the trash man. I was able to pull the A/C motor for the turntable along with the plastic ring thats sits under the dish inside the microwave and the A/C power cord (just cut off at the . The motor was A/C 24V. Here how I repaired my tree.
1. remove the original motor - dissassemble ( you will only need the housing )
2. remove the bracket that holds the lamp ( you will need the room - the lamp is stable without it )
3. purchase a small transformer - I used an "Edwards" Category 599, 50/60hz ,120V to 24V, 40VA ( It's roughly the size of "slinky box" )
4. take the Microwave turntable plastic ring and remove everything but the center that pushes over the drive shaft on the turntable motor - it should be a flat surface.
5.take the original housing and flip it over and screw it down the plastic base of the tree where it originally mounted.
6. Place the transformer in the bottom of the plastic base - find a suiteable spot and use a long zip tie to fasten it through the slots of the plastic base. Do this after you have attached the A/C power cord you cut off from the microwave and the 2 wires that got to the microwave motor - this help with placement of transformer before fastening it with zip tie.
7. Super glue the A/C motor to the original housing - making sure the color wheel covers the bulb.
8. Super glue the color wheel to the flat surface of the plastic turntable wheel center.
9. secure the A/C cord with zip tie to the base through the slots with zip tie
10. (optional) On my tree i had tuse 3 small nuts to space the housing up a little so the color wheel would not hit the top of the plastic base housing.
11. Discard the 2 green wires that went to the original motor. When you are done you will have the 12/V plug to run the light on one side - and the A/C cord on the others side to run the color wheel motor.

MERRY CHRISTMAS - I hope this works for you as well as it did for me!!

Sickie Ickie
12-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Great news! Congrats!

theedwin
12-15-2012, 09:45 PM
That is Great News!!!

Congrats on fixing it, and how cool is it that you had the parts just waiting to be used! :D